Student Grade Export

Currently students can only export all of their grades for their assignments using the "print" feature. This is problematic because it is not formatted for easy reading. 

At our school, because we treat Canvas's gradebook as the final arbiter for grades, students need to be able to export their grades in a format where it's easy to see and could be shared with outsiders with limited need to understand how Canvas works. 

Ideally, the solution would be the ability to export a CSV file like admins have the ability for a course. Also, students should be able to export a profession looking PDF with the grade from Canvas and the date it was pulled stating the grade. The PDF should be customizable based on the school's needs. 

4 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @aaronm1  

I just tested this, and while the print quality seems adequate But could benefit from some line compression), the content certainly is not.  Total score calculation and letter grade are missing along with the current date you noted, which makes it useless for reporting course grades.

Can I ask why your school went this route? I am guessing you are not the only one, but you are the only school I know of that considers Canvas to be the official grade.

Kelly

aaronm1
Community Explorer

Hey Kelley,

Yep, line compression and the other changes would be fantastic. 

We treat Canvas as the final arbiter of assignment grades because we are fully online school with remote teachers, and it's best to keep everything in Canvas. (We store final grade exports from Canvas for reference when needed). Our SIS is outdated and integration is manual one way from the SIS to Canvas. 

Also, because all of our teachers are remote, we have struggled with off the grid grades surprising families at the end of the year, because families were treating Canvas as the final grade even with communication saying it wasn't so. The best solution was to treat Canvas as the final grade. 

Aaron

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@aaronm1  all of that makes perfectly good sense to me!  I up-voted you idea, and that is very rare for me.

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.