Student Grades Missing/Late Tag Color

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please make it possible for the "late" banner that appears on the student gradebook to show up in a less aggressive color than red. Either a default color, like blue, would be great or it would be even better if instructors could choose which color they would like these banners to appear in for students/parents. Currently, instructors can adjust the colors for these statuses within their internal gradebook.  It would be nice to be able to do so for the student-facing end as well. 

As well, the late and missing flags are currently both red, so it is less easy for students to differentiate between the two. Many instructors have stopped using red to mark up student papers (when we were still in person).  This trend should be reflected in the Canvas gradebook as well. Red has proven to cause anxiety and a less aggressive color for late tags would definitely help.

19 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

mathlete
Community Participant

I was going to post this exact same suggestion, and I was sad to see that it still says that it is "open for conversation" almost one year ago, but this still has not updated on Canvas. 

The teacher's gradebook has late in blue and missing in red, but yet students have to just see RED for both late and missing, which does not help them differentiate between the two. This is especially important as color coding helps EL students and those with other special needs. 

This should be a simple fix and would be greatly beneficial, thanks for considering

breklis
Community Participant
Author

Thanks, @mathlete!

I'm also sad this idea has had no traction.  Visual cues are so important for students!

mathlete
Community Participant

TOTALLY agree!

To the Canvas support team reading this... the only reason you aren't seeing more teachers talk about this particular topic is because truthfully some teachers don't even realize their students don't get the same features as us.

WE have it as Late in BLUE and Missing in RED, so they just assume students do too. I was discussing this with other teachers and they didn't know this because they look from their end, not students'.

If it was teachers that saw it this way, this would be getting more traction, but that doesn't mean it is less important, it just means it is less noticed (by teachers). But trust me, students notice it and it truly needs to be fixed and soon - this should be such an easy fix on your tech end

mathlete
Community Participant

Hello Canvas support team... I have had students and parents left and right complain about how much "red" they see on the gradebook and how "confusing" and "discouraging" it is... can we please get "Late" to be in blue or another color... just like it is a different color for teachers' end when grading... thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-04-13)

breklis
Community Participant
Author

Thank you so much for pushing this through to beta!  So exciting!  I'd like to propose an enhancement... I just looked at a grades summary page from a student's perspective in beta and the orange color for late is very similar to the red color for missing.  Can we change the color for late to something a bit less red?  Thanks again!

mathlete
Community Participant

I am equally thrilled to see this changed to "On Beta" - I seriously think about this suggestion nearly daily because I think it is so important and students and parents alike have expressed how frustrating it is to just see "all this red" ... I firmly agree that the color should not be orange as that is too similar to red ... on the teacher side late is blue ... possibly the same for students? Thanks again for taking this suggestion seriously and looking into this more!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @breklis a d @mathlete - There's a thread in the Release Notes for this type of feedback. 🙂  Releases Q&A: 2022-04-13 Grades Late Label Color...

CMILLER23
Community Member

On the student's grade page there is a column where assignments are marked if they are "missing" or "late" these are both RED. If the purpose is to signal something that needs to be done, can't "late" be in a different color? Blue, Purple, Pink, I don't really care, just so that they're DIFFERENT. Parents and students shouldn't have to work that hard to see how many are missing.  **For the record I don't have access to beta that I know of therefore didn't know this was even being worked on.