Student Grades Missing/Late Tag Color

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please make it possible for the "late" banner that appears on the student gradebook to show up in a less aggressive color than red. Either a default color, like blue, would be great or it would be even better if instructors could choose which color they would like these banners to appear in for students/parents. Currently, instructors can adjust the colors for these statuses within their internal gradebook.  It would be nice to be able to do so for the student-facing end as well. 

As well, the late and missing flags are currently both red, so it is less easy for students to differentiate between the two. Many instructors have stopped using red to mark up student papers (when we were still in person).  This trend should be reflected in the Canvas gradebook as well. Red has proven to cause anxiety and a less aggressive color for late tags would definitely help.

19 Comments
mathlete
Community Participant

Could not agree MORE... it is very frustrating as a teacher to see students just see this "sea of red" on the screen and parents and students alike cannot easily differentiate late vs missing... I also am not seeing the "beta" version either... this should be a SIMPLE fix especially since teacher's side late is in BLUE already... so please change student view to "LATE" in BLUE as well in the beta format and then push out Canvas-wide

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

@KristinL - We are kind of heading in the right direction, but ORANGE is still a fairly aggressive color. What about BLUE instead? And, what about adding a marker for assignments submitted ON TIME?

Seeing a sea of GREEN would give positive reinforcement to students. Right now, the only markers are punitive: LATE and MISSING.

Let's give our students this experience:

ON TIME

ON TIME

ON TIME

LATE

ON TIME

MISSING

LATE

ON TIME

Rather than this one:

nothing

nothing

nothing

LATE

nothing

MISSING

LATE

nothing

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

@mathlete @breklis  I concur. Blue is much better than orange.

When I receive a "late" assignment, I want to send my student this message: "You did it! You're catching up!"

Orange is still punitive. It's like: "You're late! What's wrong with you?"

@KristinL - If the Canvas developers can change "Late" to orange, they can change it to blue. Someone is making an arbitrary decision with the color scheme without listening to teacher voices. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @SusanNiemeyer  - 

I am not part of the process regarding feature development, but I know that the Project Managers do review the feedback provided in the Q&A sections of each Release Notes. Feedback there definitely is valuable! I hope you also participate in those threads where you can reach the people who created the feature.

breklis
Community Participant

@KristinL, thanks for letting us know where to post correctly.  I've added my comments to the Q&A feed as well now.  The instructions on the Q&A led me to believe I needed to add this type of feedback here, instead of in the Q&A.  Here's what the Q&A instructions say:

WHERE SHOULD I POST...?

• Idea enhancement feedback to product managers should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)

Perhaps that could be reworded for clarity?  Now that the feedback is in both places, I'm sure it will be seen by the right people.  Thanks again.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! There was an update posted in  Releases Q&A: 2022-04-13 Grades Late Label Color U... I hope it is helpful to hear directly from the Project Manager.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-04-13) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed