Student Grades Page Display

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

It would be great to see the Individual Student Grades organized in the same categories as the assignments.  As it is now it seems that they are organized randomly and seems very chaotic compared to the rest of the Canvas pages.  If I remember correctly previous versions of the gradebook were organized this way?? This would make it much easier for me to evaluate a students progress across various aspects of the course and the assignments they are being graded on.  I think this would also benefit students ability to use the estimate grade function.

Thanks

Joe

Comments from Instructure

The Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-02-08) include a new sorting feature.

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5926#jive_content_id_Grades

14 Comments
brady_woudstra
Community Novice

Our assignments are organized by 'Due Date'. Assignments without due dates are placed at the bottom. We would like the feature to have them grouped by Assignment Group (as the name suggests) or at least the option to do so. This would allow teachers or parents to draw attention to certain groups of assignments (such as Tests) instead of focusing on Due Date.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

There are some additional feedback and comments about this here, as well:

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

curtain
Community Participant

The use case for our institution is that there are many courses that have 5-6 groups of assignments and having them organized by group for the students in the gradebook would mean that they can understand what they did or did not do, what item or items might be pulling them down.

peter_concannon
Community Participant

I was just working with a student yesterday and looked at the individual grades. I was almost shocked at how disorganized they looked, compared to the nice, neat, comprehensible categories and assignments I have created through the "Assignments" link.  I hadn't even realized this was an issue until yesterday, and I was quite chagrined.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jmrudolp ​

Would you please take a look at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5926#jive_content_id_Grades in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-02-08)​ and let us know if the new sorting feature meets your needs!

Thank you

jmrudolp
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

yes this does seem to address the issues I raised. It would be great if

the default view of grades was similar to the assignments organization! The

current view is essentially useless beyond the Total grade.

Thanks

Joe

Joseph Simons-Rudolph

Department of Psychology

School of Public and International Affairs

North Carolina State University

http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0251-8087

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 10:12 AM, rcarney@instructure.com <

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Grades Page Sort​ has been completed. 

sheryl_holland
Community Novice

I agree with the suggestion of Grade Sorting.  This allows the instructor to view at a glance students who might need reteaching and/or more practice.

Sheryl Holland

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jmrudolp ​

Thank you for your response (above).  I was so happy to hear that

yes this does seem to address the issues I raised.

We would like to mark this idea complete (even though it is not the default view, and there are no plans to make it default view).  I just wanted to make sure you are good with that.