Student Group Leader - View Unassigned Student List

0 Likes

My idea is to allow Student Group Leaders to view the list of Unassigned Students so they can contact these individuals regarding joining their group.

While a Student Group Leader can presently see a list of everyone in the course if they click ‘Manage’ on their course, they are unable to see who of these are unassigned. It would be great if either here or somewhere else, the Student Group Leaders could see those unassigned so they could reach out to them themselves rather than those with other roles having to send a message out to unassigned students on their behalf.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

RobDitto
Community Champion

@PatrickCox, leaders actually do see all the unassigned students -- they're the ones unchecked in the Manage Student Group pop-up described here:

Even so, I agree that it should be much clearer that others are unassigned, and that the unassigned list needs to load much faster and be easier to work with.  

PatrickCox
Community Member

@RobDitto - thank you for sharing this, my only concern is that, when testing, I think this showed me a list of all students with the checked ones being part of that group. Please correct me if I am wrong, I will have another look myself in the meantime.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@PatrickCox wrote:

my only concern is that, when testing, I think this showed me a list of all students with the checked ones being part of that group.

Yes, that's expected -- it's the only way a leader can see who's eligible to be added to their group. At this time there's not a feature for the leader to indicate that a group is complete, nor a similar affordance which would result in no longer seeing a list of all students. (But the teacher could turn off "Allow self sign-up" to achieve that result, after everyone is in their group.)

PatrickCox
Community Member

@RobDitto - Thank you for clarifying. It does appear that the student leader can only see a list of all students, with those part of their group checked, rather than those unassigned.

As a workaround, we set up an 'Unassigned Students' group so student leaders can see from here who is yet to join a group. All students would be added to this and then informed that they can move to the group they wish from here.

My feature request would be that somewhere - either in the panel on the left of the group set page, the 'manage' list of students, or elsewhere - student leaders could see a list of unassigned  students with whom they can communicate to invite to their group.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.