Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version

Recently, a new feature was added to the Canvas App, which allows students to "mark-up" PDFs directly in Canvas and submit them. This is amazing! However, it s only a feature on the App, and not in the normal web browser version for students with Laptops or Desktops. This is a great feature that Canvas has, and I just wish the students at our school (who all have district-provided laptops) could do it too!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-05-15).

87 Comments
sbevier
Community Participant

Please move this back up the list for development....This is a sorely needed feature that far too many teachers are having to find/create "creative" workarounds for this functionality. Canvas - make this easier for teachers during this difficult year!

vm1
Community Novice

Yes please  - this is must for math and music teachers. It would also be great if you could add math fonts with it - similar to Kami. It is great that is on cell phones but younger kids don't have that I cell phone too small to write out a quadratic equation.  It is desperately needed on the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS chromebooks that have been purchased by districts all across the country. We shouldn't have to go outside of canvas to try to find something, and the current method to do so in canvas requires so many steps - try getting students ages 7-13 to be follow that many directions vitrually...LOL

AlisonM
Community Member

Yes, please. This is a huge hole in the Canvas experience. Sometimes I just want kids to fill in a worksheet!

kelleyki
Community Member

I, like many of my colleagues, have been thrown into eLearning. One tool we REALLY need to make Canvas work for our primary students is the ability to annotate and turn in a PDF assignment WITHIN Canvas. Not opening up a google slide. Not installing Kami. We need it to be possible within Canvas. Every extra click and new window is a chance for our students to get lost. Our K-1 students can’t read detailed instructions, let alone navigate multiple websites and platforms. PLEASE consider making this happen. I know it’s a feature in the app, but we use chromebooks.

benyoha
Community Novice

My first graders need a way to annotate activity pages INSIDE Canvas without going outside of Canvas. Please make this happen in Chromebooks. Our district of over 40,000 students must use Chromebooks for our distance learning.

MCosper1
Community Member

Please allow this functionality to be added within the Canvas browser. No one wants to go outside of Canvas to add extensions with the younger grades. 

michelle_carlis
Community Member

We need this!

Scrugna
Community Novice

We desperately need this feature

kbowman5
Community Novice

Being able to annotate a pdf right in Canvas would be awesome! My kiddos (4-5th grade students) have really struggled working around it and I'm having a hard time helping them as they are studying remotely. 

Michellek
Community Explorer

This is the TOP REQUEST from our teacher team! The ability to annotate pdf files in an Assignment and as a File within Canvas keeps the focus on the learning with less technology to manage.