Student Rank

0 Likes
(3)

Our previous LMS would tell students where they ranked compared to all students in the course, and I would like to do this in Canvas. I'm not looking to share scores, simply a number, so students understand where they stand either overall or on a particular assignment. This is beneficial in circumstances where students claim "everyone failed" when they underperformed on an exam, for example. I had a way to show students not everyone is failing without sharing any other student information and show them they were struggling with the material more than most if they have a rank, that is, say 86/90. This is especially helpful when explaining they should visit office hours for more help, attend tutoring offered, spend more time studying the materials, etc.

I realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea, so having it be an option for us to "turn on" if we would like to use it would be nice. 

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@khahn1 

Thanks for sharing this idea. To clarify, you'd like students to be able to see a number representing their rank in addition to the histogram they can view for an assignment as depicted in the View Scoring Details section of How do I view my grades in a current course?

khahn1
Community Participant

Yes, exactly. The histograms are helpful, but with a general course with various students with broad backgrounds, I have found some of them don't seem to understand how the histograms work for them. The numbers seem to be easier for them to grasp. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.