Student Rank

0 Kudos
(3)

Our previous LMS would tell students where they ranked compared to all students in the course, and I would like to do this in Canvas. I'm not looking to share scores, simply a number, so students understand where they stand either overall or on a particular assignment. This is beneficial in circumstances where students claim "everyone failed" when they underperformed on an exam, for example. I had a way to show students not everyone is failing without sharing any other student information and show them they were struggling with the material more than most if they have a rank, that is, say 86/90. This is especially helpful when explaining they should visit office hours for more help, attend tutoring offered, spend more time studying the materials, etc.

I realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea, so having it be an option for us to "turn on" if we would like to use it would be nice. 

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@khahn1 

Thanks for sharing this idea. To clarify, you'd like students to be able to see a number representing their rank in addition to the histogram they can view for an assignment as depicted in the View Scoring Details section of How do I view my grades in a current course?

khahn1
Community Participant

Yes, exactly. The histograms are helpful, but with a general course with various students with broad backgrounds, I have found some of them don't seem to understand how the histograms work for them. The numbers seem to be easier for them to grasp.