[Student View] Student View Mode takes New Quizzes as a test student (with Lockdown Browser)

When testing the requirements of a course in student view, the instructor must meet all module requirements.  Therefore, the student view should allow the instructor to test those module requirements by taking a new quiz (with lockdown browser if required). 

Currently complete testing a new quiz that requires lockdown browser, is only possible if a "true" test student is created. The quiz can be viewed in "preview" mode, but that does not transfer as completed to the module requirements. 

Instructors cannot otherwise test any course content that is dependent on meeting that module requirement, because it always remains unmet.

Added to Theme

Improved student view functionality Theme Status: Identified

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Steven_S Before we move this forward for broader discussion, can you confirm that you've already asked Canvas Support to have a look? I ask because back in August 2020 we implemented "Real" Student View which, given the role of Lockdown Browser in this idea, should in theory have addressed that—but it sounds like perhaps it did not? Please let us know. 

Thanks.

Steven_S
Community Champion

This post is based on feedback from canvas chat support.  However, they made no mention of "real" student mode.  I recall seeing the update that "real" student mode was coming, but I have not seen it available in any of my courses, even as a feature option. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Steven_S Thanks for confirming the support interaction. We've opened the idea for broader discussion. For reference, here's the description in the Canvas Deploy Notes of 08-12-30 of how "Real Student View" was implemented.

Steven_S
Community Champion

@Stef_retired  Thanks, I don't quite understand the canvas deploy description.  Is there an LTI I need to add in order to view my course as a test student?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Steven_S It's my understanding that the implementation described in the deploy was meant to allow instructors to use Student View for external tool assignments. As far as I know, users did not need to take any action to enable this change.

Steven_S
Community Champion

In that case it does not seem to work when new quizzes require lockdown browser.  It should display a prompt about installing lockdown browser or else automatically start lockdown browser.  Instead it just displays a picture of a robot.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme