[Permissions] Student View Permissions

Currently the student View button for Account Admins is tied to the Course (Add/Edit/Delete) permission. Users must have this permission to have the student view button. We believe this permission should not be tied to the ablity to create/edit/delete courses since they are very different functionality. We would like the Student View be its own permission that we can set on or off for Account Admin roles. We also believe it would be benifical to have this permission for course roles giving admins the abilty to create a teacher based role that may or may not use student view. 

Added to Theme

17 Comments
DanielP
Community Explorer

We also have a very large and distributed Canvas environment, with many different levels of Admins and custom Account roles. Our dedicated HelpDesk Remote team would benefit greatly from Student View being broken out into it's own permission, as we could then add it to the custom Account role we have assigned to members of their team. They would use this permission to help support our student and faculty users that reach out for support, and helps them to establish where the root cause of reported issues reside (user-side or in Canvas). We feel we cannot add it for our HelpDesk users while it is bundled with these other permissions under Courses - Manage, such as "Permanently Delete Course," as that would introduce a degree of risk that we're not comfortable with. Act As also introduces a greater level of access than we feel is ideal to grant to our HelpDesk team.

Thank you for your consideration in separating the Student View permission out.

JosephGliddon
Community Member

This is important to us as well.

We have a lot of distributed admin staff who need to see courses as students but who we do not want to be able to delete courses.

In fact I will be dramatically reducing the number of people who can delete courses. (not that we have had a problem but its an accident waiting to happen) 

PaulSijpkes
Community Participant

Like others in this thread, I'm a Learning Designer providing support to academics in my institution.  I don't want to add myself as a Course Designer to every course that I look at. I just want a simple permission that allows me to see Student View when I access a course through the Admin tab and need to make some edits. 

I don't need (or want) to be able to delete courses as this is something managed by the course approvals process at our University.  Please add this feature as a matter of urgency as we have many support staff affected by this issue.

MW_UON
Community Member

As a Learning Designer I agree with all the points from PaulSijpkes above. I also don't want to add myself to every course and then not be able to revoke it, leading to my all course list being unmanageable. Please add this feature soon, it's vital for our role and efficiency.

MARISSASCHRADER
Community Participant

It would be really great if there would be a permission option to enable that was just "Student View" for the admin roles that need to see the course from a student view, but do not need/should not have the add/edit/delete course content permisson. We have created custom roles where accessing "Student View" would be very beneficial, but they should not be adding/editing/deleting course content, etc. Please create a separate "Student View" permission that can be enacted for different admin roles. Thanks! 

sendres
Community Participant

As many have mentioned, it's nonsensical that the Student View permission is linked to Courses-Add/Edit/Delete. Student View is basically a course design/instructional design function. At our institution, adding, editing, and deleting courses is administered by our registrar via SIS import. In addition, we want department heads to be able to see (including a Student View) of all the courses in their departments WITHOUT being able to add, edit, or delete courses (since this is a registrar function as previously mentioned).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme