Student app enable landscape view

Currently the SCORM modules are launched through external tools under submission tab in the student app.

When the external tool is clicked a new window is opened. Unfortunately the new window only launches in portrait mode. If the external tools can be enabled to work both landscape / portrait , it will be great for various reasons.

For e.g. the storyline modules can be accessed via external tools and would work brilliantly in landscape mode.

This sort of feature works in all other popular apps like Twitter. The main twitter stream is always portrait, but when you click on a tweet with an external link, the new window will work in both portrait / landscape mode.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
20 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

This is a great idea,  @v_mahendran  !

This would improve the readability of pages, viewing videos and slideshows, and so much more!

Kelley

rseilham
Community Champion

This idea has popped up a few times in the community throughout the years, but it's generally centered around giving landscape support to the entire app. I would like to see the web view use the embedded web browser so it can be rotated as well. Just added more flexibility for content that is out of the core Canvas tools. 

v_mahendran
Community Novice

Thanks Ryan,

You framed it much better than I did Smiley Happy

The core canvas tools can be restricted to portrait, but anything that's outside needs to have the flexibility of both views. Web view in landscape will be perfect.

v_mahendran
Community Novice

So what happens now? Is there anyway we can submit this idea for consideration. I understand the landscape view issue has been raised several times before, but just thought of bringing to the developers notice, so it can be considered in future updates.

To have landscape view is a standard issue and to not have it handicaps the user experience manifolds.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@v_mahendran ‌, this idea is currently open for voting and as such is being evaluated by the Canvas Community as described in How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?

anj5053
Community Novice

With the rise of media usage in education and student attachment to mobile devices, it is imperative that Learning Management Systems keep up with the trend. While Canvas offers a mobile app that is wonderful for reading and submitting basic assignments and discussion posts, the mobile app does not allow for embedded video and images to be viewed in their most visible presentation- landscape mode. Some external tools that partner with Canvas- such as Kaltura- offer rich media educational tools that become difficult to use or view with the current portrait-only setup. Professors looking to use Kaltura video quizzes must currently be aware that these quizzes are inaccessible in the mobile app which can alienate distance learners or learners who must work and study on the go. The tool gives an error stating "This video contains features that works [sic] best on Landscape mode- please flip your screen to continue"- but unfortunately Canvas Mobile does not allow for that. Additionally recorded lectures with picture-in-picture powerpoint notes become ineffective in the mobile app as portrait mode keeps the video so small it is almost impossible to read for someone with good eyesight, let alone someone who struggles with visual accessibility. Why offer an app that forces students back to their computers to complete or view assignments and materials- thus defeating the purpose of mobile capability altogether? 

Please allow for a Landscape view within the Canvas mobile app so that rich media can be viewed in its best format and video quizzes can be completed on-the-go.

pdg4
Community Novice

Please do enable landscape view on Kaltura for mobile devices. This would definitely empower my students, who watch 1-2 Kaltura videos every week.

Please generally enable the mobile experience of Canvas! Too many features don’t work or don’t work well on mobile devices, especially in the area of grading. Mobile learning should become a priority to Instructure.

bme4
Community Novice

Great idea.  Really useful for students trying to complete course work on their mobile devices.

rseilham
Community Champion

@pdg4 ‌, 

The only place where the app supports landscape right now is video that uses the native player to iOS. Kaltura uses a custom player (basically a web view), so it can't be turned. I agree it would be nice to add more functionality for the web view in landscape, and there are over 20 engineers working on mobile projects, so mobile learning is a priority for Instructure. Thanks again! 

szw151
Community Participant

At Penn State we are updating our accessibility policy to align with the WCAG 2.1 guidelines. Guideline 1.3.4 Orientation says this: "Content does not restrict its view and operation to a single display orientation, such as portrait or landscape, unless a specific display orientation is essential." So I think this is more than nice to have. This is an accessibility requirement.

Incidentally I believe that many people with disabilities use iPhones because of all the built-in accessibility features, so have the Canvas app support landscape orientation on iOS devices becomes even more important.