Student assignment enhancements - excused assignment view

(2)

Upon reviewing the release notes are from the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18): https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18147-canvas-release-notes-2020-01-18#jive_content_id_Stude.... The feature I am going to be discussing is in relation to “Student Enhancements”.

I have been testing the student assignment enhancements in the beta environment and have noticed that if a student is excused from an assignment, it does not show/tell them that they have been excused - instead it just looks as though the assignment has been submitted (see image 1). The old version would at least let the students know that the assignment has been excused (see image 2).

I am wondering if this can be changed as it will be confusing for students seeing this and might cause the students to assume they have submitted the assignment already.

Unlike the old excused assignment, the new student assignments enhancements feature still allows a student to click "New Attempt" but are then presented with an error icon that does not allow them to upload an assignment (see image 3). I feel they shouldn't even be able to click "New Attempt" if the assignment has been excused for them.

Would love to see this updated.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@grace2 ‌, thank you for providing this comprehensive and well supported account of the issue. Have you already reported this to Canvas Support? If you have, would you provide the case number—and if you haven't, would you initiate a case first so that a support agent can investigate the environment to determine whether this is intended behavior?

Thanks.

grace2
Community Participant

Hi Stefanie, yes I have posted a case for this and they suggested I post an idea here. This is my case number - 05779926.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you so much for doing the due diligence on this idea,  @grace2 ‌. We've opened it for community consideration.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.