Student view: View submissions and comments for all submissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Right now students can only view their most recently added submission to an assignment. This means that all previous submissions to the assignment are not available to students, including feedback that the instructors have provided. This is a big problem because students are losing critical information that could help promote learning and understanding.We need to eliminate this lossylearning problem and make all assignment submissions visible to students!
193 Comments
timothy_maw
Community Champion

@holley_collier The voting process has changed. It is now a rating system so, you can still weigh in on how you feel about this by going up to the top of the idea and rating it using the stars. This link does show how to rate the idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Community/How-do-idea-conversations-work-in-the-Canvas-Community/... 

holley_collier
Community Explorer

Thank you @timothy_maw I just added my 5 stars! 

joanne_robertso
Community Novice

Excellent idea!

BelindaAllen
Community Member

Love this idea & it really needs to be implemented. 
I was thinking my students could see all of the comments and hard work I put into annotating their coversheet but they were unable to view it and I did not know.

JanK
Community Novice

Was not aware, until now, that the students could not see comments on draft once they sent in final work. Definitely needs to be set up, so that they can make full use of all feedback.

ford23
Community Novice

As a faculty member I am allowed to view students' multiple submissions. However, students are not allowed to view their own multiple submissions. The problem is, I provide students extensive feedback, and if they resubmit an assignment, they cannot view that feedback again at a later date! Why can't developers make viewing multiple submissions available to students? They will then have a record of their submissions, improvement, and progress for assignments. They could also reference faculty feedback for future submissions.

tcoward
Community Novice

Very important for students to be able to review ALL feedback!

carolyngaletuck
Community Member

Really important for students to review all feedback whenever they need to refer back to it - great idea!

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

5 years, 148+ comments since 2015 - let's hope sometime soon this feature will get some attention!  I'm impressed with how many people have given 5 stars since the move to the new community.  There must have been a lot more up votes before the move.

rodger-ling
Community Member

This request is a clear example of of the process of soliciting input and ranking ideas DOES NOT WORK, at least not well.  Years go by, and no one from Instructure takes any notice of what I consider to be a severe limitation of the LMS, one that confuses students and wastes faculty time when they make inline comments on submissions students will never see. And yet it works in the mobile app, apparently--which is almost worse, since it means that Instructure apparently has no reason not to make this change, they just don't care.

I may sound overly pessimistic but any company that solicits ideas and then lets them languish for almost six years and counting is one that inspires optimism.