Student view: View submissions and comments for all submissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Right now students can only view their most recently added submission to an assignment. This means that all previous submissions to the assignment are not available to students, including feedback that the instructors have provided. This is a big problem because students are losing critical information that could help promote learning and understanding.We need to eliminate this lossylearning problem and make all assignment submissions visible to students!
193 Comments
govreacl
Community Contributor

This is definitely needed asap.  Feedback and the ability to get to it is vital to student learning.

irishb
Community Contributor

Thank you  @galyenk ​ for mentioning using assignments for journaling
- there are faculty at our school who are very interested in this capability!

Bridget Irish

The Evergreen State College

Olympia, Washington

irishb
Community Contributor

Thank you keh2294 for pointing that out, and too bad the link isn't pointing to the original article at this time, it would be great to view that conversation as well.

irishb
Community Contributor

Thanks so much again  @galyenk ​ - I'd like to second all of that!

irishb
Community Contributor

@Renee_Carney  So this feature request may be prioritized around January-February 2016, please?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

irishb

This idea may be prioritized in the future.  How near or far in the future is still an unknown.  Make sure to follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​, any update on this?

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Kona,

This is still under consideration and review, but there is not timeline to go to development yet.

Jason

apiippo
Community Novice

Another problem that this would solve is students asking me if I received their first submission. When they resubmit (or add an additional file), then they can't see the previous one, and think it's lost and gone forever. I agree with the comments above that it would be great if it functioned just like the instructor view, with a drop-down menu. In the meantime, I'll download the submissions and make comments in MS Word's Track Changes, because I'm not ok with losing hours of work again.

craigring
Community Novice

With the ability to view every assignment submission as a teacher, I assumed that it would be the same case for the students. I'm really disappointed that students do not have access to this. It really does not make sense to be able to give formative feedback through Canvas, without students being able to refer to it. We are still in the implementation stages with staff, but I can see this being a bit of a stumbling block. Already after being assured of how effective marking is in Canvas, some members of staff have made comments on a piece of work, only for a student to re-submit with slight changes before the feedback was viewed. This has lead to teachers spending more time giving feedback, as students have had to view it on the teacher's speedgrader view instead. It defeats the whole purpose of giving interim feedback.

Please, please sort this out so that I can continue to share how great marking in Canvas is, without this rather epic downfall playing in the back of my mind.