Student view: View submissions and comments for all submissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Right now students can only view their most recently added submission to an assignment. This means that all previous submissions to the assignment are not available to students, including feedback that the instructors have provided. This is a big problem because students are losing critical information that could help promote learning and understanding.We need to eliminate this lossylearning problem and make all assignment submissions visible to students!
193 Comments
janet_morton
Community Novice

I agree with you, Melanie. It's frustrating to download and send the assignments to the students, so I've stopped using that Canvas feature to give feedback.

dianepbh
Community Participant

Absolutely. It make no sense to have students get feedback and then not be able to see it! 

funkmastaz
Community Novice

Hey, just looking for confirmation from the Instructure team that this idea is still on the radar and not deprecated or forgotten.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Confirmed Smiley Happy

funkmastaz
Community Novice

You guys are great! Please take your time and supplement with updates.

f_deenen
Community Novice

Is there an update of this feature. I agree with a lot of replies on this feature! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @f_deenen  

No update at this time.  Thanks for asking.

catherine_carne
Community Participant

This topic is nearly three years old and still very much wanted. Even a this is in the works within the next six months would be nice. While I realize that 248 votes is not a lot considering how many people use Canvas, I have a feeling that most instructors have no idea that students cannot see previous submissions. I just learned that and I have been using Canvas for four years.

Jason asked, 

1. In your mind, where would students access submission history? Assignment details/submission screen?

Yes, on the submission screen

2. Would the expected behavior be the same as the instructor view (pick the submission from a drop-down menu), or would it be better if there something like an activity stream on the right sidebar?

A drop-down menu like the instructors have would be perfect

tr604
Community Novice

I think many users of Canvas are not active on the community, well because they are busy either teaching or learning.  Because many instructors and programs use journaling, without this feature set it is not an easy task short of creating multiple assignments which can be daunting for learners to be able to synthesize feedback from multiple areas.  Collaborations can solve much of this but currently there is no easy way to grade collaborations, and not every institution uses Google Apps to make this as straight forward.

are there any updates on this?

spagel
Community Explorer

I'm a technology integration coach as well as an AP teacher, and this feature is much needed!  Just today, one of my teachers experienced the disappointment of having made comments on multiple submissions of each and every student, only to find out that the students can't see his feedback on their initial submissions.  Had I known of this limitation, I would've warned him!  Regardless, this thread is nearly three years old, and still no news?