Students Adding Comments

0 Likes
(2)

When students comment on feedback from an assignment in canvas, I would like to get some sort of notification so that I know to go and read it.

Tags (1)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@karvidson 

Instructors can receive notifications on comments by customizing their notification preferences according to the instructions in How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as... - Canvas Community. When I was teaching, I had this set to "Notify me right away" so I would know immediately when a student had posted a response to my comment (the default for the Submission Comments notification is "Daily").

Is your idea specifically focused on receiving notifications of students' replies to annotations left in DocViewer (i.e. not as Submission Comments in Speedgrader)? Students receive notifications of a teacher's annotations, but I don't know if the reverse (notifications of replies to annotations) is governed by the notification preference, as those notifications were implemented after I stopped teaching 🙂

Thanks!

cameron_redsell
Community Participant

The only issue with this is that you also get notified a ton on due dates as students tend to add comments with their submissions, and I will see these comments anyway when I mark them.

gnoack
Community Champion

@cameron_redsell  So you only want notifications sent after you have graded the work. 

cameron_redsell
Community Participant

If that could be a toggle that would be awesome! Basically something like how the canvas community works could also be good, where I get an email notification for replies only. I don't need notifications for comments like "here's my submission", but I do need notifications for "why did I only get part marks on question 4". After the due date, or after graded (I think there's a piece that tracks that already in the assignment data), would be awesome.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived