Students pdf annotating tool

0 Likes
(31)

1E1A690D-D05A-465E-9B1B-0956A3643525.jpeg

Students easily can annotate on a pdf with a canvas tool. Teachers would have the option to use this as an assignment type. 

32 Comments
jessica_mitchel
Community Member

This would be an amazing feature to add in Canvas!  Currently, we have to use an outside extension to upload a PDF, mark it up, download it to our Google Drive, and then upload it for submission on Canvas.  I'm sure you can easily see how a 6th grader could get confused in that process.  Being able to annotate within Canvas would be a wonderful time saver and less frustrating for students.

tpearson1018
Community Member

This would be an extremely helpful feature saving us from many extra steps!

kgarrett2
Community Member

Yes!! My school blocks ALL Google Integration, so I am in desperate need of a tool IN CANVAS that students can utilize to annotate directly on a PDF. My students have ThinkPads, so they run on Microsoft Windows, and there is not a Canvas app accessible to my students. We are willing to beta test a tool like this! Thanks in advance!

Atshick
Community Member

This would be very helpful. It is too confusing to ask students to submit before they are able to annotate. 

sdeal
Community Member

This is desperately needed!

adam_wiseman
Community Explorer

This would be awesome feature. 

vm1
Community Novice

math teachers would love this feature - especially if there was a way to include an equation editor in conjunction with the pdf annotator all in one place.

Mziller
Community Member

This would be so helpful and save valuable time!

lleyser
Community Novice

This would be a game changer! Please make this happen!

anilles
Community Member

This, right here, would completely change how we can use Canvas for pdf annotation with our elementary students. This would be a valuable tool.

sbevier
Community Participant

This would save an amazing amount of time and frustration as teachers are trying myriads of ways to do this same thing with a variety of different tools and results. 

Aagar
Community Novice

Please add this!! Would make things so much easier for my students.

lealoo
Community Member

This would be an amazing tool that is definitely needed!

bhsaunders
Community Member

This would be so valuable!!

kira_judah
Community Novice

Yes please! This would make Canvas more accessible for my students!

tricia_castro
Community Member

YES PLEASE! I have problems with a few students submitting supposedly edited PDF’s but come out blank. If students can annotate a PDF right on Canvas, it would be really great! Hope this is bumped to 1st Priority for features this year. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Blwarden1
Community Member

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 9.02.53 AM.jpg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone -

If your students use the Canvas Student app, this feature already exists! It's quite easy to allow students to annotate directly on a PDF that is included/linked right in the directions of an assignment

With Canvas Student, if an instructor includes a PDF in the assignment's instructions/details, students are given the option to annotate the item right inside Canvas Student and then submit it! It saves things in-progress in case the student can't finish in a single sitting, too. How do I add annotations to a submission in the Student app on my iOS device? 

Also, if you're interested in seeing this come to the browser, see Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version and add to the conversation! 

Blwarden1
Community Member

Hello Kristin, 

Thank you for comment. We understand that the feature already exists especially on iOS devices but many school have implemented Chromebooks and we are looking for an easy way for students to annotate in canvas without numerous clicks. It is extremely difficult to have elementary students follow the web browser steps. We are hoping for a more streamlined and user friendly approach for all students.