Students type answers directly on page

0 Likes
(1)

I would like to upload a pdf or photo of a worksheet and have students type their answer directly onto the document.  This could work using a text box feature.

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@mathteacherky 

Thanks for sharing this idea. PDFs and photos are read-only documents, so Canvas wouldn't be able to develop a feature that allows students to type into a text box on a standard PDF (the exception would be if the document author can use Adobe Acrobat Pro to create a PDF with fillable form fields). 

Students who use the Canvas Student app can annotate directly on a PDF provided to them as an assignment by their teacher. As our coach @KristinL writes,

"With Canvas Student, if an instructor includes a PDF in the assignment's instructions/details, students are given the option to annotate the item right inside Canvas Student and then submit it! It saves things in-progress in case the student can't finish in a single sitting, too. How do I add annotations to a submission in the Student app on my iOS device? "

We have a conversation currently underway that requests similar functionality on the web, and you can add your comments to the discussion at Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version. We've archived this idea so that we can keep the conversation unified around this desired functionality in one place.

Thanks again. Stay safe, and stay well. 🙂

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mathteacherky Please refer to the update we've posted to  Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version which is currently slated for 5/15/2021 release. Thanks!