Students' viewing their own answers on quizzes one at a time

I allow quiz questions one at a time but when students view their answers, it shows all questions,  this makes it easy to copy, print or printscreen for students to share quizzes with peers. I would like to ask CANVAS to create a set up where exam questions can be shown one at a time, and students can view their own answers (correct or incorrect) one question at a time, with the options to let students view their own answers right away or after the exam due date. This way, it will be a lot more difficult for them to make copies of exam questions and share with peers both during and after the exam. This would help a lot in avoiding student cheating. Thanks!

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

29 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@asli_tasci ​

Thank you for your submission.  It will open for voting Feb. 3rd. 

I did modify your idea slightly to take out the mention of 'after the due date'.  There is already a feature that allows you to set the review date.

Here are a couple resources you may be interested in?

asli_tasci
Community Novice

That feature applies if you want to show correct answers, not to students' own answers. I checked this with or CANVAS folks, they told me it is not possible to delay students' viewing their own answers till after the due date. I would like to be able to do his because my exams are open for a week for students to take and early takers are sharing with late takers. Thanks Renee

RobDitto
Community Champion

@asli_tasci ​, regarding this particular need:

delay students' viewing their own answers till after the due date. I would like to be able to do his because my exams are open for a week for students to take

At our institution, teachers first Mute the quiz assignment in the Gradebook, so that students won't see the recap of questions and submitted answers immediately after submission.  Later on, after you Unmute, the quiz settings for answer display will take effect. A good time to Unmute might be after the exam closes for all students.

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Does this work when the quiz is automatically graded?

RobDitto
Community Champion

Yes.

asli_tasci
Community Novice

This is good to know, thank you! I still wonder if CANVAS can do what I am asking, because right now, when it shows students' answers (if correct or incorrect), it shows the whole set of questions in one page, I would like that to be also one question at a time. If they can do this and add the option to show their performance after the due date, unmuting and muting would not be necessary. I have 3 online courses with quizzes in each every week, you can see how this feature would help me Smiley Happy Thank you!!!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Yes, as  @RobDitto  states, the muting blocks students view of everything until you unmute. I was delighted to learn this because I used to set quiz options to reveal no answers, then mute, then grade quizzes, then change the quiz settings to reveal answers, then unmute . . . because I didn't realize that the "mute" function did both. The "Are You Sure?" message you get when you mute an assignment isn't as detailed as it might be.

Also, and you may already realize this, but even when you allow students to view only their own answers and you uncheck "show correct answers," often the display reveals which answers are correct. See discussion here   for more.

I really like the idea of a one-question at a time answer display for students.

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Thanks Beth,

Yes, it does show correct and incorrect answers and what concerns me is that it shows them all together and then students make screen shots and share with each other and do this by taking turns on different quizzes so I get this group of students with perfect grades, which is a clear indication of cheating. Not to mention finding exam questions on quizlet.

When I show one question at a time and not allow them see their own answers afterwards, this grade inflation does not happen; but then, I get messages about them wanting to see what they got wrong.

So my solution will solve this issue: One question at a time, show their response one at a time as well and give an option to do this after the due date so that they cannot share with peers before the exam is over. I really hope CANVAS folks would do this, it would help a lot!!!

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Please vote yes to make our life easier and also keep the integrity of online education intact Smiley Happy Happy day!

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Hi again Renee, you changed my idea and did not change back, as I mentioned, the current feature allows you to define when to let students see correct answers for all questions; I would like this future to be available for students to see their own responses (correct or incorrect without showing all correct answers). Can you please add this back to my feature idea? Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Sorry about that.   I must have missed it.  You should see an 'edit' option to the right of your idea.  You may edit and add the detail back.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Also, now that you have given more detail, can you explain to me how your idea is different than " modifiedtitle="true" title="Make "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" Setting Do What It Says (...​  It sounds like you are trying to accomplish the same thing?

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Can you please read my clarification in the feature? I asked our CANVAS people, they told me this is not possible right now; therefore, I am requesting it.

jennifer_cramer
Community Novice

Consider voting on this topic, too: " style="color: #2989c5;

wendi_keith
Community Explorer

It would also be helpful if they could view each answer as they take a quiz (help I got #1 wrong, I need help before I get #2 wrong also)

hfchen
Community Participant

"options to let students view their own answers right away or after the exam due date."

This would be a very useful feature for us. As is we are asking faculty to set the show response and view correct answer dates after the due date of the quiz. Which is just an extra thing instructors needs to remember to do. Some kind of scheduling for show response or a toggle like the quoted text above would be ideal.

cfelton
Community Novice

I would love to see something that prevents students from being able to copy/past quiz questions. We use the same quiz questions on multiple sections and need to prevent collusion.

kona
Community Champion

@cfelton ​, as a work around could you just not release results from the quiz until all sections were done taking the quiz? This is how we work around it at our Institution.

cfelton
Community Novice

Hi Kona,

My organization does rolling enrollments, so there is no way to release the quiz results after everyone has taken the exam. We are a work at your own pace school.

kona
Community Champion

That would definitely make a big difference!