Students' viewing their own answers on quizzes one at a time

I allow quiz questions one at a time but when students view their answers, it shows all questions,  this makes it easy to copy, print or printscreen for students to share quizzes with peers. I would like to ask CANVAS to create a set up where exam questions can be shown one at a time, and students can view their own answers (correct or incorrect) one question at a time, with the options to let students view their own answers right away or after the exam due date. This way, it will be a lot more difficult for them to make copies of exam questions and share with peers both during and after the exam. This would help a lot in avoiding student cheating. Thanks!

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

29 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yet, even if students can't copy and paste, they can do screen shots from their compute or their phone...In this day and age there really isn't much you can do to totally prevent students from cheating. Smiley Sad

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion. We may consider this for the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine , which is currently under development. For now, I suggest we archive this idea as we look to the future for development in quiz land.

Jason

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Hi Jason, I am wondering if and when this feature may be added to CANVAS. As the new semester starts, I received much negative student feedback about not being able to see their answers after answering one question at a time. This must be something simple to add on. I really hope you guys are already working on it. Thanks and best!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @asli_tasci ​

I hope that you are following the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​, so that you receive updates on the project, as they are announced.  The new Quizzing Engine is a big project.  It is not estimated to be completed until some time 2017.   The new Quizzing Engine also means that we are not making grand changes to the existing quizzing tool, so a feature like this will not be available for your new semester, sorry.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

I have a question for you: On your website here New Ideation Stage: Product Radar, the description of different stages says:

"Here’s what you can expect from us:

• When an idea that is open for vote reaches 100 net up votes, it will be moved to the Gathering Information stage. 
  • Ideas in Gathering Information, that do not move directly to Under Consideration or In Development, move to the Product Radar or Archive stage."

Why was this idea kept in Product Radar instead of moving to the further stages for development? It is obvious from votes and comments that it is a needed change and I am not a programmer but I don't think it is much harder to enable showing student responses as correct or incorrect right after each answer as opposed to showing the entire list of correct and incorrect answers all together at the end. It cannot be a programming issue so I wonder what is the real issue? Please enlighten me Smiley Happy @Renee Carney

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @asli_tasci ​

This is a great question.  Thank you. 

We receive a lot of great ideas.  Earnestly, we would love to build them all, however, we have finite resources and  have to prioritize and allocate.  Ideas: State of the Union​ is a blog I posted earlier this year.  It explains, in more detail, how feature ideas are one of many channels we use to hear directly from customers!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community, but because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using the New Quizzes tool in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.