cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Studio Analytics

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

Studio Analytics

We need reports from Studio that lists which videos student watched and for how long. We need the total number of minutes each student views each video, even if it is multiple times.

11 Comments
Community Team
Community Team

jackiehughes@ferris.edu‌, would you take a moment to detail what specific enhancements you'd like to see vis-a-vis what is detailed in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9683-50736529258 From my preliminary reading, it appears that some of what you've requested is already available.

Community Member

321446_Unknown.png

So, right now we are looking at Max Johnson's viewing history for one particular lecture.  I see that he skipped a little in the middle, but watched the majority of the video (horizontal axis).  Let's say that the next day, he watched the entire video, without skipping.  Would the vertical axis show that he had watched some portions of the video twice and some portions only once?  If the vertical axis could show that, I could work with that data.  

Hopefully that makes sense.  Please let me know if there is any more information you need from me. 🙂 

Community Team
Community Team

Potential voters should find this clarification very helpful. Thanks, Jackie! 

Surveyor

Currently, if I want to see who watched a video, I have to scroll down and click on each one of my students, one by one.  This is especially time-consuming for someone like me who has moved to a strictly flipped classroom model and was even considering using more of the hybrid online approach.  I have a class of 85 students and we meet 14 times over the course of the semester. 

Ideally, I could see in a single page-view summary data for the class as a whole, and then below all the individual data for each of my students.  For example, the class on average watched 8 minutes out of a 10-minute video.  Then below, each student listed with how many minutes they watched.  If I want more granular data, then I could click on a particular student to see what portions they watched and what they skipped over (like I currently have to do).

Community Member

I wholeheartedly agree with Natalie's suggestion. A single page, aggregate summary of the class as a whole would provide a valuable snapshot of the class's progress. The ability to view this data quickly, without the time-consuming burden of compiling individual information, would be particularly helpful for courses that intend to dynamically adapt to specific student needs. 

Community Member

I would even like to add that the ability to check and see if students are looking at their videos should extend retroactively to previous semesters.  I want to do comparison analysis to see if students viewing of videos makes a difference in course outcomes.  

Surveyor

Agreed!   I'm teaching a flipped course where viewing the course material online is essential. It looks like I can see, one at a time, which students have viewed the videos uploaded to Studio. I want to be able to download the data so I can analyze by student and by course the use of the video material.  This one-by-one approach is nearly useless at real-classroom scale.

Community Member

I wish there was a way to organize the Insights by Class or search for a specific student.  I have 65 students in a class and it is just really challenging right now to go through all the students.

Surveyor

I've mentioned this in a discussion. 

Issues:

- Insights are not always accurate. I’ve been told if students view from a web browser on a mobile device and not the Canvas Student app it doesn’t always record the view time.

- Students are not listed in any logical order (alphabetical or by total viewing time) so it becomes cumbersome for using with large classes. 
- Quick link to Insights does not exist in a course if comments are turned off. 
- There’s no usable report to download. 
- All students are listed even if you just assigned it to a group to view.

Surveyor

I am really struggling with this and considering looking at other programs to fit my needs, but it seems like it is something that could easily be done through the Canvas platform.