Studio Folders within Folders.

(8)

They just recently added Collections in Studio. This helps us organize our videos. However, if we teach multiple subjects, it would be nice to be able to make collections within collections. For example, I have videos sorted into 6th grade math, 7th grade math, and 8th grade math. But I would like to make collections also within 8th grade math for different chapter/topics like solving equations, exponents, etc... 

8 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

If anyone is looking for a short term fix, tags can be used to help here. For such a math subject, tags could be:

linear equations and functions

systems of equations

geometry

geometric transformations

data and modeling

etc.

tcorica
Community Member

I am using Studio to house Zoom recordings, instructional videos, and student presentations across three courses across multiple trimesters.  I now have seven Collections:

• Calc3, fall and winter trimesters
  • APCalc, fall and winter trimesters
  • PreCalculus, fall and winter trimesters
  • Student presentations

With new presentations coming, and a new trimester in March, I will have at least eleven, so it's getting to be quite a mess.  If I could nest collections I could organize this, leading to less clicking around to find the right spot for a new file, and less chance that something will land in the wrong spot.

CherylBurtle
Community Member

I would like to add a collection within a collection.  This would help be group archived videos for classes that have concluded.  I do not want to delete the videos, but I don't want them to clutter Studio.

stijn_castel
Community Explorer

Same problem/question here! Collections within collections would be great!

DrSubramanian
Community Member

At present, the recordings made in Studio get collated in "My Library" space. There is an option for having folders wherein some of the recordings can be pulled together in the form of "collections". It would be good if it is possible to use collections in a way similar to "folders" (from the Microsoft Office Software). In other words, one "collection folder" can hold other sub-collections. As an illustration, in my teaching, I use, for instance four recordings for lecture 1, lecture 2 etc. I put them together as a collection. It would be great if I can have one "folder collection" which holds these sub-collections of lecture 1 (4 recordings), lecture 2 (4 recordings etc). This would make it easier to organise material year on year as most of these recordings have similar titles and I would like to keep them better organised.

DrSubramanian
Community Member

I would like to be able to have folders with collections too.. please!

AnitaRhodes
Community Novice

My latest assignment required students to make a Studio video; they did.  I plan to do so again, so I need to keep these shared videos organized in a folder or collection before it becomes one hot mess.  There is currently no way to do that unless I download them all and upload them again into my videos. Please provide a way to do this simple, logical thing.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.