Studio: Improved Student Insights/Analytics

0 Likes
(11)

Need to be able to view a report for an studio lecture and see what students have watched the video and how much they have watched.  Also need this information for students that are using the Canvas App.  The current insight system required instructors to look for this information student by student. 

23 Comments
ericreifs
Community Explorer

Please make insights for studio videos a report. I want to be able to see if students watched the whole video and not just part of it.  It is crazy that I have to click each student for each video  insights to see this.  4 videos with 120 students is a lot of clicks to get that information.

NorthgraveW
Community Member

An aggregating tool is desperately needed. The Insights tool is difficult to use in courses with many videos or in courses with many students, and it would be near impossible to use in courses with many videos and many students. 

JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

The ability to generate a report, or look at a dashboard that summarizes which students viewed which lectures for an online course using Canvas Studio would be very helpful.  It would definitely help with participation grades. It's kind of arduous with 40 students and 25+ lectures, for example

flee1
Community Participant

Please improve the Studio Insights feature.

Having data and documentation on whether students are watching the videos is really important. Having to click and scroll for 160 students to check if they watched a video is incredibly time consuming, imagine having to do this for multiple videos? Not to mention the insights are not fully accurate if a student watches the video from their mobile app. It is a great tool, that needs to be fleshed out more.

lesya
Community Explorer

Great points by everyone! I am working on a course which uses Studio insights to track the viewing of 80 students, and it is a pain to not have  a big picture that aggregates insights from all videos. It is also awkward and time-consuming to scroll down a long page to locate the student name, just so you scroll up again and view the insights. Very clunky! 

brycezmiller
Community Explorer

Adding my voice to the others here.  The Studio analytics provides needed information, but being only able to view it in a student-by-student format makes it impractical in large courses. Being able to view the analytics in aggregate would greatly increase the useability of the tool.

gilrosenberg
Community Member

Often if I am interested in insights, I am interested in a single student, and I want to see which videos they have and have not watched.  It is hard to do this when insights are only organized by video, and you have to track down all the relevant videos.  It would be nice if there was some easier to see what a particular student has or has not watched.  Maybe even just a summary, for instance:

Student X

title of video A: 100%

title of video B: 95%

title of video C: 53%

If this is the chosen route, it could also be organized in a table, like the gradebook.

But I would also be happy with a view where it lists all the videos and when you click on it you can see that student's insights.  Or a page with all of the videos available to that student and all their insights.

Thanks for considering!

malia_molina
Community Participant

Studio: Better engagement stats! Yes, please! 250 students. Clicking one by one. It is such a poor use of our time when there must be a better way to report on who has and hasn't watched the video completely. A report for each video that you can sort by student's name, time spent, latest engagement, and so forth. So easy to see a report that you can print and reference.

Additionally, a report allows us easily to provide positive feedback to students to reinforce the habit and benefit of watching the lecture for the sake of learning and not points.

The helpful idea of adding quizzes to check comprehension does not address the issue of work-arounds to game the system. Plus, it's likely that we already have quizzes and assessments elsewhere in the module. Make it easier for instructors and not more laborious. Please, and thank you.

NMerchy
Community Member

Yes please! Adding my voice to the request of the features above.

sgarcia1
Community Participant

This is absolutely necessary!!

agarratt
Community Member

Yes please! A .csv export would be ideal : )

mjones14
Community Explorer

Our faculty use Canvas Studio and often reference Studio Insights to determine if students have watched Studio videos in their entirety. We recently learned that if students view Studio media via the Student App, Insights may not record the viewing information at all. We would like this issue to be corrected so that Insights records student views made via the app. Thank you.

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @kathleen-wheatl@flee1@lesya@brycezmiller , @JACOBSEN_C , @ericreifs , @gilrosenberg , @malia_molina , @NMerchy , @sgarcia1!

Just wanted to let you know that we'll very soon work on some improvements around making Studio insights more useful and reliable and would be absolutely thrilled to hear more about your feedback via a call. We already have some hands-on concept to show you.

If you are interested, feel free to reach out to the CSM, s/he will be happy to help set up the call! Alternatively, you can send me your e-mail address in private message here and I'll have it set up!

Thank you so much for this,

Akos

(I know I skipped two person from the thread, but I can only mention 10 person here unfortunately. Hope they also get notified about this message)

ericreifs
Community Explorer

@AkosFarago what is your email or how do we find it so I can get in invitation to the meeting?

Eric

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all,

just wanted to thank you for everyone who contributed with their feedback either here or via a Zoom call. It seems like we addressed quite a lot of your issues detailed in this thread with the concept we showed you and we also discovered a few other interesting needs that have been captured in our product backlog. Stay tuned for the improved media insights!

Best,

Akos

malia_molina
Community Participant

@AkosFarago 

Hi Akos,

Thank you! I'm sorry that I missed the Zoom call and the opportunity to provide additional feedback. Would you please keep me on your list for future info-gathering sessions regarding the Studio analytics? I would like to contribute and it is wonderful that you are working on improvements.

Best wishes,

Malia

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @malia_molina,

Absolutely and thank you so much for the feedback in advance. I'll let you know when we'll further improve the insights part!

Best,

Akos

ellisonl15
Community Participant

In my asynchronous class offered on Canvas, I'd find it really useful to be able to see an overview of students' video views in their analytics info. I know this information exists because it is possible to (very painfully) access it by going to every single video and clicking on students names individually. (The entire Studio insights system is very poorly designed.) But in a class where the content is delivered through videos, there are a lot of videos and I can't go in a flip through every student for every video to check. I could more effectively help guide my students if I had a better idea of whether & how much of the videos they are watching. 

John_P_Taylor_2
Community Member

I know this is old, but we're into 2022 now and I just want to chime in that while I was able to deal with these issues in a very small class, this semester I'm trying to track the engagement of 45 students and not (at least) having the ability to alphabetize students by name in the insights panel makes what should be an essential feature of very very limited utility. 

If you can't make it possible to export a full report, or aggregate individual student analytics in one place, the option to alphabetize students by name would likely cut my workload in engagement tracking in half. 

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

@John_P_Taylor_2 we are working on this now, stay tuned for a completely re-designed Insights page soon!