Studio should pull in native captions from YouTube

0 Likes
(12)

I know that this is possible in general as PlayPosit and TechSmith Knowmia do this. When will Canvas Studio have this feature?

14 Comments
ProfMartin
Community Explorer

I agree. Studio needs to have this functionality. 

For those not using PlayPosit or TechSmith Knowmia, we are left with having to use other apps to download the captions. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@dj_hawkins 

Thanks for sharing this idea. YouTube would need to remove certain restrictions from the API they provide us before we could accommodate this, so with that in mind, we’ll move the conversation forward as a partnership enhancement request.

dj_hawkins
Community Explorer

Stefanie--

Thank you! You might also reach out to PlayPosit and TechSmith Knowmia to see how they handle this handshake. *smile* Maybe there's a workaround?

DJ

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dj_hawkins 

Thanks for the advice!

ashleyhurst
Community Member

Please add this function!  We have students who need the captioning, and it is very challenging to get the captioning into studio from a YouTube video. 

cmpn
Community Participant

Is there any update on this? This is a big accessibility challenge that severely limits the usefulness of Canvas Studio's media management features.

The fact that we lose existing captions from third-party YouTube videos when incorporating them into Studio means that using this feature actually creates accessibility barriers. I can't recommend a feature to faculty or designers that makes videos less accessible.

This is a shame, because Studio is otherwise pretty good on this front.

bcalnan
Community Participant

I would love for this to become a reality.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I would like to add support for this idea.   As mentioned before, other products (including EdPuzzle), do allow the captions from YouTube.  It's a huge accessibility issue.    Please address this.  Thank you!!

tyler_witman
Community Participant

This is such an important accessibility feature. Without this, we're forced to find other resources. 

katherine_leon
Community Explorer

Please address this accessibility feature issue. 

jfribush
Community Novice

We would love to have all our videos go through Studio, both ones we've made and ones we're using through YouTube.  Right now there's no way to do this with YouTube without losing captions, so we're not able to put them in Studio.  Many of our parents are concerned about the additional links that are available when we embed a YouTube video directly.  Having Studio pull captions from the YouTube video would solve this access problem for us.    

dj_hawkins
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired 

Has there been any movement on this API handshake issue? So many other tools can do this? And now, more than ever, I would to be able to tell my faculty that Studio can pull in YouTube captions. 

DJ

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.