Studio video re-editing anytime

(17)

Studio. Enable videos to be edited, re-edited anytime. i.e. Existing videos, uploaded videos should have the edit function always available, after they have been created, uploaded, edited and re-edited. This would save much time in applying small changes to current Studio videos.

24 Comments
AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

@Jeff_F - I am planning to dedicate a whole blog post to it rather than dumping the valuable info here as a comment. There is a LOT going on with editing based on what we heard on interviews!

MBlackwell_GCA
Community Participant

@AkosFarago The previous recordings option does not seem to be available anymore?Studio Editing.png

GGummess
Community Participant

When one records a screencast, there are a wide and quite sophisticated variety of editing tools to modify the screencast and improve it as an instructional tool.  But you can't go back and re-edit after the video is posted.  Re-editing a screencast after posting wouldn't be just to fix mistakes after the fact, but to customize the video for different audiences, or just to make refinements as one would see fit.  

Therefore, I would like to see an "Edit media" feature added to the kebab menu when you are viewing the thumbnail of the video or the video itself, which would re-open the screencast recording tool so you can put the video into editing mode, and then save new changes.  

This idea builds somewhat on a previous post that proposed creating "snippets" of existing Studio uploads.  I am proposing full-blown editing of the video, at least to the degree of adding trims, editing out portions, adding text and shape graphics, not much more than that I should think.

I have attached a screenshot of what this proposed feature could look like.  

Glen Gummess, Ed.D.
Educational Technologist
University of St. Francis, Joliet

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.