Subject overview's subject summary view and settings

0 Likes

Hi community,

The subject summary, unfortunately, brings calendar events such as Zoom meetings from past semesters and there is not a way to filter them out without deleting these past events. As these events belong to another teacher's term it is not appropriate, I believe, to delete them as a workaround solution suggested by the Canvas support team. The subject summary should or be able to show the events that are current and relevant to the subject dates in action. As another workaround, not to confuse students with past semester's Zoom meetings, I hid the summary which I thought was not a good idea.

My canvas troubleshooting is referenced here: ref:_00DA0Ibsk._5002Gu1Ggg:ref

The support team suggested this must be posed as a new idea as the current Canvas does not have this functionality. I look fwd to seeing this happen 🙂

Ozzie

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@ozkoko Thanks for sharing this idea. Would you clarify the use of the term "subject summary" in this context? While the support agent might have been able to view the area to which you're referring, we cannot, and "subject summary" is not a standard Canvas term; perhaps you are referring to the Syllabus page or the Course Summary that displays at the bottom of that page? A screenshot would help members evaluate the idea.

Thanks!

ozkoko
Community Member

Yes, it is the syllabus page - this is an American term for subject guide. Course summary that displays at the bottom of the page could be called Subject Summary at the Uni I work here in Australia. There is a checkbox next to it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ozkoko Thanks. This brings up a few more questions.

(1) The standard (i.e., out of the box) Course Summary at the bottom of the Syllabus page doesn't have a check box next to it. I wonder if your school is using a custom design for the subject guide. Would you provide a screenshot?

(2) Does your uni keep the same course open across multiple semesters? I ask because typically schools use start and end dates for each course that correspond to the semester dates, and launch a new course with its own start and end dates when a new semester starts. When courses are set up and structured in this fashion, students and teachers will only see the events that are included within that course. 

(3) Following up on that question, in what circumstances would a new teacher of a course see the events belonging to a different teacher's term? Does the teacher inheriting the course also inherit the students from the previous term along with their assignment submissions? Again, this is not how courses are typically used, so it would be helpful to know more about the account, sub-account, and course structure that have been set up by the school's admins.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived