Submission Celebrations

What if students received a sweet visual effect in Canvas when they submitted an assignment? Asana has a similar feature when you mark a task done. A unicorn or something will shoot across the screen. Instructors and developers could toggle the effect for different assignments and either pick a specific effect or let a random effect occur. Imagine a panda flying across the screen! Larger scale effects could be attached to larger assignments like final projects.

A unicorn flying across the screen to celebrate

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 .

7 Comments
ronmarx
Community Contributor

What a nice variation under the heading of gamification. Positive cognitive-emotional reward conditioning. I like it!

jean_meyer
Community Explorer

For primary level, absolutely.  But for high school.... I don't know.  Less so, for university students.  I think Canvas should be focusing on the more urgent stuff like, changing the "Marks" section from iframes to an actual table to ensure that it can easily be downloaded.  Columns like "Notes" which is available in Canvas Marks is not available for download.  Or making sure that HTML codes are not clumped together.  

dewell_justin
Community Novice

Hi  @jean_meyer , I completely understand your view that Canvas should focus on other features. I'm suggesting an "icing on the cake" feature. However, I think this can be beneficial for all age levels. I know plenty of college students who get hooked on games and social media platforms for small forms of acknowledgement. I think even a small amount of creative feedback for submissions could help students a). feel confident the assignment is submitted and b). receive a small reward for submitted that assignment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

An assignment submission celebration display is now available in Canvas Beta. For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18) 

dbrace
Community Contributor

Wish I had heard about this sooner.  I would have voted it down, unless admins have the ability to control it.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed