Submission Preview

(5)

When a student submits their assignment, it should automatically show up in a preview window. Although students can click on View Feedback to see their submission in the document viewer, they never do, probably because there is no actual feedback yet. This would allow students to immediately see that there is a problem with a submission so they can fix it before the deadline.

7 Comments
ian_konen
Community Explorer

Yes - I put in a feature request via support and was directed to vote for this. I manage a large lab course, and I've had multiple messages from students this semester saying they uploaded the wrong document but didn't find out until it was a given a 0 by the grader.

I've given students clear instructions on how to preview their document, but most don't check. Most will not consider the possibility they uploaded the wrong document until they get the 0 back. Just showing them a preview automatically would cut down on these cases significantly compared to an easy to find preview link that has to be selected, and would be a big improvement over currently hard to find preview link.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted! emily.hardegree-ullman‌ and  @ian_konen , you may be interested in an in-progress enhancement to Canvas:

The submission confirmation will include a preview, much as this idea proposes.  Still, I voted for this as it's a great idea!

grant_hunnicutt
Community Member

I really want this preview feature as well. My students NEVER click on "View Feedback". How do I "vote" on this? I don't see a button anywhere.

ian_konen
Community Explorer

I think you have to select the number of stars? I found it very confusing too.

This link has more info on how idea requests work, although it refers to selecting the number of stars as "rating" not "voting," so I'm not sure they aren't two different things.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Community/How-do-idea-conversations-work-in-the-Canvas-Community/...

MicheleOBrien
Community Novice

When students upload an assignment, it would be great if it would preview somewhere on the page.  This is a quick way for students to verify that they have submitted the correct assignment to the correct submission page.  Currently, it appears that the only way for them to verify that it is the correct assignment is to download the assignment again.

Thank you for all of your work in improving Canvas and your willingness to receive suggestions!

elprofelowe
Community Novice

This video provides a "how to" using student enhanced features.

https://youtu.be/KPfuVG9jlEY

The interface is slightly different now, but seems to be what y'all are inquiring about.

@ian_konen @michell 

Snag_188f317.png

DRL

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.