Submission comments appear in Inbox indicator

(6)
As an teacher, I would like the numbered indicator next to the Inbox link include how many unread Submission comments I have. Although I keep my Canvas to email notifications turned on, a large number of our faculty turn off their email notifications. (As a Canvas admin at our institution, I hear how often this occurs.) They manually check the Inbox for submission comments.

This feature request fulfillment may also include displaying submission comments with Unread Messages in the Inbox, similar to Add Inbox + Submission Comments Filter in Conversations .

Excelsior!

72 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

lee_knowlton

Thank you for checking in.  At this time, there is not an update for this thread.  If you follow this idea (at the top) you will get a notification if/when there is an update.  After reading your use case here, I'm not so sure that this is the only thread you should follow though.

I would encourage you to vote and add your input on https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3254-making-feedback-more-visible-to-students" modifiedtitle="....  This is also a feature that was recently prioritized by a group of your community peers.  You can find that list at Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas.  

One more note...  If you ever want to know that large priorities we're working on, you can find them in the Canvas Studio.  We're getting ready to add a few more there, so you may want to follow that space as well!

lee_knowlton
Community Novice

Thank you Renee. The links you provided are indeed valuable. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

cartmd
Community Member

Need a setting or ability to setup notifications for when a student or a teacher comments on an assignment.  When a comment is made on an assignment you can have it sent to your email but there needs to be an ability for it to either show up in canvas inbox or on a box by to do list to show a new comment has been made.

atuominen
Community Participant

Four of my faculty have asked for this same feature, for submission comments notifications to show up on their Inbox thread and/or to-do list.  Certainly forwarding notification to an external email works for some, but others prefer to keep the teaching related notifications in Canvas.  (Institutional email inboxes fill up as it is with all kinds of other business.)

ArtofArt
Community Member

I too have thought that it would be really helpful for "submission comments" to be part of the Dashboard.  The notifications are hidden within the inbox under a drop-down menu.

Using submission comments to communicate with a student is an extremely useful tool, but falls flat when the teacher doesn't see the comments from students at the moment.  As a new Canvas user, I was not aware that the "submission comments" did not get flagged the same way as a resubmitted assignment.  There was a lot of miscommunication about the best way to address questions about grades and assignments because I didn't see the submission comments early on. 

Manually checking submission comments from a different screen leads to lost opportunities for communication between teachers and students.  The task of remembering to check a notification that isn't visible is out of sight and out of mind.  

Submission comments are related to grading and need to be treated the same way.

Please add "Check" submission comments to the "To Do" List for Teachers

Please add a notification on the Inbox at the very least and make the submission comments not hidden in a drop-down menu.

ashlib
Community Member

It would be helpful to have an Inbox notification when a new submission comment is made. Otherwise, no notification exists outside of an email notification, which is separate from Canvas.

cmaggart
Community Explorer

It would be very helpful if the Submission Comments count was separate and visible without having to go into the inbox and switch the drop down. We also need to know which are new and which aren't.

cameron_redsell
Community Participant

Well this is pretty high up here among the saddest threads in the Canvas community forum. Started in 2015 and unless I missed something…. Still nothing.

im am fairly confident in saying the vast majority of our faculty don’t even know there’s a submission comment drop down, and all of the students comments, after the faculty grades them, are lost to time.  Students regularly use the gradebook comments to dispute marks and seek feedback, and it just seems to them the faculty has ignored their request.

And even if you do know about them, they’re a downright nightmare. A simple “unread” tag would make it 1000x better. Some sort of system to not notify me before I mark them, but then yes an inbox flag and email after I mark them.

I can dream… but with a 2015 start date I doubt This will get changed. Anyone have a good Script or workaround to find the unread ones nicely?

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

I'm looking across the community and I've come across this feature request as well as Submission Comment Notification and Notification Indicator for Submission Comments in Gradebook and all three of them get to the same basic problem. For most of us, email is a great place to lose things like assignment comment notifications. Students actually have the blue dot that appears next to grades that at least signals them to go see that something has happened, and will take them to the assignment page where they can see comments and annotations if they are motivated to take the time. The teacher role desperately needs something in the actual Canvas UI that creates notifications when there are new assignment comments. If those are part of the Inbox notifications, that works well enough. Personally, I'd rather see them as To Do items. After all, we get To Do items to read notifications for Announcements that we've posted. It would be nice to see To Do items to read assignment comments that are actually important for us to read.

ChrisMedina
Community Participant

I just had an instructor come to me complaining that their students are not looking at the submission comments. He had a conversation with them and they told him they dont read them or know about them. 

at least having an indicator on the inbox that they have a submission comment would be great. or even something that pops out more telling students they have a submission comment. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.