Submission confirmation

0 Likes
(2)

ease remove the message "Successfully submitted" from views like this. In fact, the item was NOT successfully submitted and students are frequently misled!  Consider another method for students to actually confirm their work was submitted in the App. Or perhaps instead display the message "submission pending."

Teachers have a hard time explaining this message since it conflicts with the "not submitted" status at the top of the screen.

IMG_4791.png

17 Comments
CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

JulieannPina
Community Novice

I am a parent of a student who is affected by this problem. We suggest that there would be an email sent to the student when an assignment is successfully submitted. That could be a short term fix while something more holistic is developed.

As a parent, I would also like to see a dashboard with a list of all successful submissions in the last X days. Ideally, this could even include all classes together, but if not then at least class by class. Having to dive multiple clicks into each assignment adds so much time to the process of tracking.

SteveStowers
Community Member

Can someone please explain what's going on in the screen shot posted here? Why does it say "Not Submitted" at the top but "Successfully Submitted" at the bottom? I just had a student show me something like this, and I don't know what's going on.

dcodea
Community Member

I am having this issue. Students are claiming they submitted assignments, showing this screenshot as confirmation, and I have no idea how to interpret it.  We don't see any submission in the the speed grader but they swear they uploaded a submission and present this screenshot as proof. I have no idea what it means or why it says "successfully submitted," so I have no idea how to answer these students or confirm what did or did not happen. It is extremely frustrating and is happening in every course I teach right now.

dcodea
Community Member

@CanvasDocTeam @Bobby2 @kmeeusen @KristinL Drawing attention to this question

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! There was a recent update to Canvas Student that fixed the issues surrounding submissions. I believe it is Canvas Student 6.9.8. If you can double-check that your students' are using the most recent version of iOS (or Android) as well as the most recent version of the app, that'd be awesome! Hopefully, the issues will have been resolved, but if not, the best next step would be to submit a support ticket through the app. How do I get help with the Student app on my iOS device? 

dcodea
Community Member

Thank you for your reply; this doesn't fully address my needs however.  I still do not know what this means.  Did my student submit an answer, or did they not?  What am I to say to this student?  What are the meaning of the two contradictory "submission" phrases above?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I think that the only true way to double-check is to check Speedgrader? What was received there? The other thing that students could do is check their own submissions by tapping Submission & Rubric on the app. If the item was truly submitted, they'd see a copy of it there, parallel to the rubric provided (if there is one, of course).

Every student needs to double-check their app to make sure that this discrepancy doesn't continue to happen. It helps everyone!

dcodea
Community Member

There is no submission in the speedgrader or anywhere else but the student swears they submitted something and took a screenshot that looks exactly like the above when they did so, and says this is proofs that they did submit it. How can I say they are incorrect? It does indeed say "successfully submitted" and I have no idea what that means other than, successfully submitted.  

dcodea
Community Member

For context I also do not believe the student used the iOS app to submit their answer - it was a text entry assignment - so I am not sure how the updated app will help me

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Unfortunately, yes. It is incorrect as there is not an item associated with the assignment. If they check the Submission & Rubric section, they'll likely see that nothing is there...and that's the information that the instructor has. That is the case for all submission types, including text entry.

At the time of the screenshot, there were some issues with assignment submissions. At that time, it needed to say "submitted" at the top and at the bottom as clear verification. These issues have since been addressed by the engineering team at Instructure. That's why it is important of to update the app.

I know that these aren't ideal answers. If an item never makes it into Speedgrader, there's never a full-submission.

dcodea
Community Member

And you say this issue is fixed but the student still sees this in their canvas, and says their app is up to date.  They are insisting they submitted their homework.  They still see this. I am including a screenshot from today.  What am I supposed to say if they insist they uploaded it and still see this?2021-01-18T17_10_30.294Z (1).jpg

dcodea
Community Member

Any update on this?  It still shows the above screen.

dcodea
Community Member

Could I please get some assistance on this? I was told above that if the student updates the app they will no longer see the "erroneous"  "submitted successfully" wording, but this student still see it with an updated app.  So what is going on?  How can I tell this student they did not submit it when they see this wording?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Are your students still seeing "successfully submitted" on the updated Canvas Student App even when they haven't submitted?

rseilham
Community Champion

This was fixed in version 6.11.1 released in May 2021. The exact language is "-Fixed assignment details screen indicating a successful submission while the assignment is still not submitted." If this is not the case, please report it to Canvas Support. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this discussion. The behavior described here was fixed in the May 2021 release of Canvas Student 6.11.1. 

Please use the Help process to report additional incidents to Canvas Support through the app.