Submit Grade in Teacher App via Keyboard

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When using the Teacher app on either iOS or Android, as I'm grading my instinct is to press the Return/Enter key on the virtual keyboard to submit the grade that I've just typed in for a particular submission.  However instead pressing the key simply minimizes/dismisses the keyboard, which is frankly useless.  This problem is particularly egregious on my iPad for 2 reasons:

1. In the menu for the iOS version, the "OK" button is sandwiched between "Excuse Student" and "Cancel", forcing me to work slower than I'd like since it's frustrating hitting the wrong button (which happens more often than I'd like to admit).
  2. I like to use a Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad to speed up the process, and not being able to use its Enter key significantly reduces its time-saving benefits.

I believe that this is a bug with the apps that need to be fixed, and initially reported it as such.  However the Support Engineer who responded informed me that this apparently needs to be suggested as a feature request instead.  I'm still trying to figure out how having the keyboard minimize instead of submit a grade could possibly be considered a feature instead of a bug, but in the meantime I appeal to the Community for your support in bringing this matter to the developers' attention.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14562-canvas-teacher-release-notes-android-15  & Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.5).

10 Comments
peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Attention grabbed -- I'll make a ticket.

dseagal
Community Novice

Thanks for your help Peyton!

I hope I didn't come across as overly snide in my previous post.  A trend that I've noticed with quite a few software services (Google and Spotify immediately come to mind) is to set up their communities/forums as a barrier to user feedback and bug reporting, turning them into echo chambers that quarantine users and strip them of any real ability to improve the service.  Fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case here, although it's always a worry for me.

Actually I've been pretty impressed with how much Canvas has already improved just in the 2 years that I've been using it, and I think that's in no small part due to keeping lines of communication open between the development team and the community.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dseagal  

Thank you for returning to share your feedback and experience!  I'm so happy that you see that we have employees in this community constantly and we are listening!  There are so many awesome ideas submitted that we'd love to build them all, but resources (time included) have to be factored in!

Thanks for being part of this awesome community!  It's peeps like you that make it special!

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This will be included in version 1.5, which we plan to submit to the App Store within the next couple of days.

dseagal
Community Novice

Fantastic!  I look forward to the update.  My thanks to you and  @Renee_Carney  for your attentiveness throughout the process.

dseagal
Community Novice

Just updated to v1.5, and the keyboard does indeed work as expected.  Thanks again for the help.

A new issue has unfortunately popped up with v1.5, which I mention in my comment to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14366-canvas-teacher-release-notes-ios-15?sr=search&searchI...

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dseagal  for submitting this idea. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.5)  & Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.5).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed