[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
shelmerd
Community Novice

Please allow this soon! Some students are having trouble uploading things as we have had to switch to online classes. This would help a lot of people.

Steven_S
Community Champion

I usually separate the due date and available until date by several minutes specifically to avoid the last minute "technical difficulties" complaint.  I tell my students it is a grace period in which they may still submit, even though it is late and that it is too late once the assignment locks unless they contacted me before then.  This avoids most emails, because the technical difficulties are usually only caused by students misunderstanding the way canvas interprets these times and/or slow connections.  Also, the late marker applied to those last minute submissions helps students self-correct.  Over time there are fewer and fewer last minute submissions.

jlatourell
Community Member

I agree.  The idea was started five years ago.  The process of crowd sourcing an assessment of the importance or usefulness of a new function takes far too long.  

kdj05d
Community Member

I'm a ceramics teacher who is getting a crash course in becoming a computer programer - Canvas feels like having to learn latin to use a hammer. But, that said I am grateful for some kind of way to meet some learning objectives.

This issue here is the fact that many students are also having to get a crash course in the quirkinesses of Canvas - so I allowed them to turn in papers using Google Doc. Does this flexibility now mean I should suffer? Canvas says yes.

For emergency first-time-ever-on-canvas students we need this parachute - a system that is inflexible and can't allow exceptions is doomed to be abandoned for one that can, especially when enough stress is applied.

micheala
Community Member

This feature would be a huge help for me.  I run an internship class an often have timesheets and other documents dropped off in my office instead of scanned and uploaded by students.  I also would love to have a depository for all of my student-employer-faculty learning agreements within the student profile for our CSU auditors.  Being able to add the agreements to each students profile would close a loop for me.

rgonzalez2
Community Novice

Some kids have difficulty submitting assignments. Due to the quarantine I can't show them how, or help them with tech. Id rather just do it for them!

rorr1
Community Novice

Please, please, PLEEEEEEEASE make this a feature. Especially now with all courses going online, I REALLY would appreciate the ability to upload student files back into their assignment to be graded in SpeedGrader!!!!!

courtney_smith2
Community Novice

Yes, please!

chelise_popoca
Community Novice

I would love to be able to have a feature like this. I have discovered during distance learning that there are various ways an assignment can be completed, and it would be useful to be able to submit an assignment for a student if they didn't submit it the traditional way. 

algeorge
Community Novice

Yes!  Please!