[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
eleverett1
Community Explorer

I need to be able to submit a paper on behalf of a student. 

I'm an instructor. 

Turnitin.com lets me do this, but if I submit it there, it doesn't appear in Canvas. 

The last conversation I saw on this was in 2015. 

tessaturnbull07
Community Member

So many emails and texts of FLVS worksheets from my families of EL or early elementary grade levels where Canvas is not super friendly. Being able to submit the work for their student would be a tremendous help!

Makafe
Community Novice

Wow, I can't believe that this thread is five years old and NOTHING has been done so far......We've switched from Moodle to Canvas during the pandemic (as if that alone wasn't enough for all teachers to deal with) and I have to say regarding this feature, Moodle was so much easier to manage students' assignment uploads! It can't be that difficult to incorporate to Canvas. 

Please, could you do something about it? It's such a basic feature and would make the teacher's life that much easier.

TresBien
Community Member

Yes, please add this feature. 

bratcliffe
Community Member

Please can this be pushed up the roadmap

henryrob
Community Member

This would be a super-useful feature. I am new to Canvas and am shocked this is not a feature.

mrwinn
Community Member

Please do this!  It would save a lot of time for me. I am sorely missing this feature. 

KLIKAVA
Community Novice

Please provide a feature so that teachers can submit a file on behalf of a student. When completing a group video assignment, I need to download/export student videos and need them to be in Canvas for peer review, but students are encountering limitations (because they can't record their screens in Canvas Studio, which is another request). Therefore, as a teacher I need to do some of the technical stuff. Bottom line, please give teachers the ability to upload on behalf of students.

TorontoToph
Community Member

I had a student upload a single file in a .zip so I couldn't see it in SpeedGrader. I would like to be able to simply open that zip and upload the embedded PDF without the hassle of opening the dropbox for one student and having them fix it. As of now, I have to download the files and view them offline. 

lazar_konforti
Community Explorer

I see that this thread was started in 2015. I'm writing this in late 2020. How has this still not been developed? Honestly, this should be a basic functionality. It's pretty astounding that it isn't.