[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
AKwan
Community Novice

Yes, please create a solution for this option.  It would be very helpful for teachers to be able to upload an assignment for a student.

kim_wine
Community Member

I need this for my students who struggle with uploading their videos. I have been attaching their work as a comment in Speedgrader, but that doesn't get rid of it and the parents think they didn't do it. 

truskell
Community Member

Yes, please!  This would be super-useful.

jonna_radegard
Community Participant

I think this would be great. Please make it possible. 

mueller
Community Member

This is essential for many different reasons / situations. And feature of other VLE's, so should not be difficult to instigate.

MNovak957
Community Member

Yes! This is such an annoyance when a student emails instead of submitting themselves. To be able to add an assignment on behalf of a student (especially for assignments in Canvas linked to Portfolium because they far too often have problems submitting these and just email me directly then I have to work with them to get them to submit it themselves.

TAMU_JG
Community Member

Yes, please add this feature. I experience students emailing me their submission  because they had access issues about a dozen times per class per semester. 

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

Yes!   YES!!   YEEEESSSSSS!   : )

I always have a few who email me their assignment.   I'd like love the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. 

trolson
Community Participant

YES.

??!!??!! WHEN !!??!!??

cdona
Community Explorer

This discussion about the need for this improvement has been going on since 2015.  PLEASE add this feature.