[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
elui-131
Community Member

This will help a lot!!

MichaelSukop
Community Novice

I have this issue too. It would be very helpful to enable these types of uploads.

AsmaaElantary
Community Novice

I really need this feature. some students face problems and send their work by mail and I need to upload it myself. Please support this feature to take place.

GaryPajer
Community Member

Puleeez.   This has been an open request since 2015.    It has a lot of support, and some people find it essential to the way they run their class.   What is the hold up?

Draco
Community Explorer

Yes, this would be great, during the pandemic I have often worked via email with students and they have screenshotted their work. I would love the option to add those to the attempt in my grading notes, and/or as a new attempt. Also, at the end of semester, I often have students with unfinished attempts for varying reasons, and in blackboard, I would submit them on behalf of the student to finalize grades and close out the gradebook.

ckirkbride
Community Novice

My exam days are so stressful due to the requirement for students to upload a written portion of their exam, which I then grade using Speed Grader. I currently have one student who can't seem to submit her exam to the correct location, so now I need to grade it separately in a different program. The ability for me to be able to submit her exam would be SO HELPFUL. 

paula_hannan
Community Novice

This would be helpful.  I have a student who put their name in big letters at the top of  their submission which makes it impossible to grade anonymously.

khahn1
Community Participant

Please make this an option. 

trolson
Community Participant

Instructors should be able to submit(upload) an assignment to Canvas on behalf of a student.

MsDorsey
Community Explorer

I'm desperate for this option as well. Student will have their phone confiscated as a punishment. But the punishment is mine if I have to keep a separate stack or email list to grade later.

I'm BEGGING you, Canvas. Please make this an option!