[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
aduggar
Community Member

Wow, this has been kicking around for six years

Please, please, please make this a thing.

todd_ghormley
Community Explorer

This would be great!  It actually coincides with a similar issue I am having where the missing flags are not disappearing through Speedgrader.  I have students who are turning in assignments by hand rather than online and the speedgrader tags transfer to our SIS program.  I think it has to do with the method of submission and if I could turn in assignments for the students, it would be much easier to fix this issue.

jordan_barlow
Community Novice

Please, please add this option!!! I'm so tired of attaching things to comments and having it look different than a regular submission.

peitlerg
Community Member

This would be very helpful.

AlexandraHofler
Community Member

Yes, yes, yes!  This needs to be implemented.

NMerchy
Community Member

Yes, please!

karber1979
Community Member

This would be VERY helpful in case the students for some reason are having trouble uploading the files themselves.

Estefania
Community Explorer

Great suggestion. Sometimes it is just not worth the time to have to go back to the student, explain how to submit, they saying there is some error ("Canvas is not working for me" et. al), often having to reopen the assignment just for this one student... In these cases I just add the assigment as an attachment to my comments, but it would be so much easier to be able to correct the submission from the Speedgrader. For integrity concerns, add an automatic note whenever the assingment is submitted by the instructor. 

AngieR
Community Member

Yes--allowing instructors to submit on a student's behalf is very much needed!!!

ungoddess
Community Explorer

Dear Canvas, could you kindly make the option available for instructors to turn in assignments on behalf of our students? I have been teaching university and community college courses from home since Spring 2020 due to COVID impacting both my campuses and students are having a tough time. I've had students try to submit work on their phone unsuccessfully with weird formatting. Some have minimal internet access and old laptops. Others are disabled. Allowing us to submit on their behalf would reduce stress levels mightily, not to mention the volume of emailed attachments. This would alleviate the extra work of going in, adjusting folder openings and closures, and will reduce students sending out emailed assignments. I do not accept assignments via email.

Thank you!