[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
vdumova
Community Participant

Please add this functionality!

GGummess
Community Participant

I, too, support this idea.  It would be a tremendous convenience for instructors, and I'm sure there are students affected by a life emergency or a power grid shutdown who would appreciate seeing an emailed submission document make it into the Speedgrader.  

I recall that when my campus, the University of St. Francis in Joliet, switched from Blackboard to Canvas, the over-arching reason expressed by faculty was that grading in Canvas was much easier and useful.  I wholeheartedly agree, but we did give up this "forced submission" feature that Blackboard had at the time.  I miss it.  Let's bring it to Canvas.

Glen Gummess, Ed.D.
Educational Technologist
University of St. Francis

BenjaminKemp
Community Member

Please? Please please please please please PLEASE? Everyone has given the hundred reasons why, surely this isn't too hard?

frances
Community Member

Please implement.

frances
Community Member

I was looking for this feature as many remote students with poor connectivity emailed the work via attachments, which now TAs need to grade outside the system . 

Is there a schedule to see when features in development can be expected to be available, or if this feature is in the development plan?

Thank you. Daniel. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@frances  You'll find the current roadmap for all Instructure products at   Product Roadmap.

mmartinez42
Community Member

100% this is needed. I just started using Canvas and I have already needed it as a feature 5 times. Gradescope does this....

mmforbes
Community Member

Dear Canvas, please implement this, or provide a solid workaround.  I gave an impromptu quiz in class, and have scans of the students submissions.  How do I get these into Canvas so I can grade them, comment on them etc.?

cdona
Community Explorer

This is a request that has been in Canvas Community since 2015:

"As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video."

elawlor
Community Participant

Adding my support. This would be a very helpful feature.