[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
TresBien
Community Member

Teacher to submit assignment on a student's behalf (scan of their work) for grading using speed grader.

I need the feature of being able to submit an assignment on a student's behalf. Several pieces come to me in emails or are handed in on paper and I scan them. I want to be able to use the speed grader for these, just like I use it for work that has been submitted in the standard way. 

SamP
Community Explorer

This request comes in quick frequently from teachers within our network of schools.  Would love to see this idea get traction and implemented.  

BobSturmey
Community Explorer

This would be a huge asset for what we do in WBL. Having a digital LMS and dealing with people who sometimes don't engage with the technology side of their apprenticeships is a huge hurdle. If our trainers could take pictures of the work they prefer in booklet form and upload it that would save so much time, and also keep moderation digital so win-win.

Please implement this, i won't ask for anything else for the rest of the year i swear

mfbutner
Community Explorer

This is a popular feature request and over 7 years old at this point. How has this not been implemented yet?

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all, it seems that my message is getting buried in the continued comments, so want to post once again for those that have not seen that this is a request that one of our engineering teams will be addressing. For reference, you can see my comment here.

Also, a quick update on where we are with development of this feature - we have completed our initial designs and accessibility audit of those designs. For next steps, we will be creating a technical plan and creating the tickets for the actual development work. As mentioned in my previous post, this may seem like a small change, but there is much that will need to be considered to ensure it works as expected and also does not interact adversely with many places in Canvas beyond just the submissions and gradebook, such as SpeedGrader, modules (especially those with requirements), etc. As soon as we are in active development, we will update once again. 

crs367
Community Member

I cannot find a way to upvote this so I will just say - please bring this functionality to Canvas! It would be so helpful.

enoch_hunsaker
Community Explorer

I agree that this would be a very useful feature!

Weinburd
Community Member

New to Canvas here. My jaw dropped when I found out that Canvas doesn't have this feature. Every other LMS I've used provided me with this ability. It's even crazier to me that members of the Canvas community have been requesting this feature for EIGHT YEARS and it hasn't been implemented.

I'm glad it's finally being addressed. I hope these efforts come to fruition.

MichelleKGross
Community Member

My students would like a video in Spanish showing how to upload their respective assignments.

Without that, I will need to figure out a way to submit the assignments on their behalf. I'll probably create a worksheet in Google Docs, insert each one-page assignment to a sheet with the student's name, then enter grades of 0, .5, 1 on Canvas along with a link to the Google Docs as a comment for each student, if that is possible. 

It's often helpful to discuss potential workarounds, especially when software features have apparently not been adequately field-tested during the design phase, and actual users can consult with each other.