[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
nuttalg
Community Explorer

I couldn't find the upvote button, but I definitely support this idea.

swhenne
Community Novice

It looks like this has been in discussion for five years - when the heck does it reach the level when Canvas takes action on it?   I would really love to have this feature, and it's all the more important now that so much of what we do has to be online.  

svonderbruegge
Community Explorer

Sometimes a teacher doesn't have time to explain what a kid "should do" or a kid has some glitch that "just emailing" works around. 

This needs to be a feature in an environment where so many kids are learning remotely.

lvosssch
Community Member

I'd like to add my "vote" for this one. Please. 

brian_zulkoskey
Community Member

This is a great idea, please implement.

LauraKlug
Community Member

I don't see how to vote either but also very much want this feature built!

mkennedy41
Community Novice

Our schools utilize a Testing Center that scans and emails written work to us, in order to secure greater test integrity for proctored exams.  I would like to upload that work to the students' accounts so that they can see by my annotations how I scored them.

Noob
Community Novice

This function is quited needed. It has been implemented in Blackboard and Gradescope long ago.

Please add this function!

Kellychris
Community Novice

I would like to add my vote to the pile. This would be a very useful feature. Please make it happen!

nuttalg
Community Explorer

I can't find the upvote button, but I would like to be able to submit an assignment on behalf of a student.