[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
VickiZ
Community Member

Adding my support to this. We often have students who submit by email for whatever reason I'd like to just submit on their behalf. Another example is this - our exams are often conducted on paper - I would like to be able to scan on behalf of students and upload their work so as to be able to mark onscreen. This would negate me needing to scan samples after the fact and save them somewhere else. I would like everything to be in one place. Given that people have been asking for this feature since 2015 is there any chance of an update to let us know if this is something that possible or being worked on?

jfm5245
Community Member

"adding my support to this" - how long could this take?  6 years?  Canvas, come on.

p_bier
Community Novice

Being able to submit on behalf of a student would reduce instructor workload, as it is quite common for students who have had technical difficulties with their submissions to email something through.

Also if this functionality existed in the API it would allow us to do some nice stuff with regards to bulk uploading scans of paper based tests, so that they could be marked within speed grader.

federicofuentes
Community Novice

I also need this feature. Often get students that could not upload on time (especially on exams), and I'd like to just submit their homework without having to coordinate with them and having to change the "until" date manually. This should be quite an obvious feature. Gradescope has it. Maybe I should advocate in our department to simply change everything to Gradescope given what seems to be the inactivity on this issue.

VickiZ
Community Member

I often have to advocate for Canvas as many staff believe that Google classroom is sufficient to meet their needs. My favourite feature is onscreen marking, but unless Canvas introduces this feature I can not use onscreen marking as our tests are paper tests that I need to scan. Without advanced features how can we justify the additional cost and training commitment needed for Canvas. A solution should be easy to figure out here! Can we please have an update on this please??

BethAgen
Community Member

Yes! This, please!

wbaranger
Community Member

This is a serious shortcoming for those of us who have students with unreliable or nonexistent home internet, as about 10% of my students experience.

The ability to email me a submission and before deadline is the method of last resort for my students. I simply cannot believe that this simple capability will soon be in its 7th year as a feature suggestion, which no hint that any action will be taken.

I guess Canvas assumes that all students have reliable, high-quality internet at home. Not so.

Astonishing that I may retire without ever seeing this feature rolled out.

LujoBauer
Community Member

+1 Please add this

GGummess
Community Participant

Looking back several years, I recall that this was the one feature that Blackboard had...  and Canvas did not.  I wholeheartedly agree that it is time to add this feature to submit an assignment on behalf of a student.  This would be particularly helpful for certain ADA students who need this level of support, respectfully.  

Glen Gummess, Ed.D.

evansall
Community Explorer

Yes, please!  Gradescope has this feature, and I consider it a must!  I have assignments that are required to be handed in to move on to the next module.  I limit them to one attempt because some students figured out that they can submit a blank page to move on and then go back and submit the actual work later if they have multiple chances to submit.  So even when I have people submit before the due date, if they accidentally choose the wrong file, I can't upload the correct one for them.  That means I have to remember what happened for that student on that assignment until I grade them.