[Rich Content Editor] Subscripts in one click

The html editor used to have two buttons, one to enter superscript mode and a second to enter subscript mode.   Now, there is one, which gives you a superscript unless you pick off the subscript option it offers.   This makes entry of subscripts slower and more tedious.   Please bring back the one-click way to enter subscripts.    In my linear algebra course, i rarely need superscripts, but I need subscripts all the time.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@Robert_Bruner 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've moved this conversation forward as a request to include not only a superscript but also a subscript option on the RCE icon ribbon. Please note that both the subscript and superscript options are currently available from the Format dropdown menu:

superscript_subscript.png

Robert_Bruner
Community Explorer

The format menu item selection process is still cumbersome.  Having to switch from the keyboard to cursor movement (click on a menu, then select an item from the menu), then back to the keyboard is the slow part.   A keyboard shortcut would be a fast way to do this:   ctrl-U to toggle superscript mode, ctrl-L to toggle subscript mode, for example.   (U for 'upper', L for 'lower')

This matters in math courses, where I want to intersperse formulas and text.

kimberly_smith2
Community Novice

Yes, PLEASE bring back the subscript button. My students in chemistry cannot figure out how to subscript anymore, it is tedious and not obvious how to subscript anymore. 

ElizabethHart-W
Community Novice

Agreed, nestling the subscript feature into the dropdown formatting menu has had unintended consequences on students and instructors like myself. Kindly consider bringing back the one-step subscript button.

amyslack
Community Participant

It would also be helpful to have keyboard shortcuts to toggle super/subscript mode on and off as we are typing without having to click anything on the RCE. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme