Support Button is In The Way

0 Likes
(1)

The new Support button in the bottom left is in the way. Please make it closable.  I see I can move it up and down, but I don't want it or need it. I was just demonstrating to a possible new user, and it covered the NEXT button on every screen.  

Thanks for considering it,

Eileen

10 Comments
EileenMUSC
Community Member
Author

I meant bottom right.  Sorry about that. Covid brain is awful!

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @EileenMUSC,

Can you provide a screenshot of the button you're referring to? 

Naomi

EileenMUSC
Community Member
Author

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 7.15.59 AM.png

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @EileenMUSC,

I've not heard of a button like this being added to Canvas recently. And I took a look at your Canvas account and couldn't see this button on any pages I opened. Because of those reasons, I suspect this could be a possible bug or something that's been added by your institution. I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support or your school's support team. 

Naomi

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

@Naomi our institution is new to Canvas and this button is present.  I assume it's enabled by default.

I think this is a relatively severe accessibility issue and should be addressed, especially because keyboard-only users have no way to move the button.  Although they can tab behind it to interact with page elements that are hidden, it can be difficult to read the text of the buttons they are clicking on.  Given that Cancel and Save are the hidden buttons, it's very easy to lose your work by Cancelling inadvertently when you mean to Save!

cant-save-announcement.png

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

@EileenMUSC & @tls6u,

Thanks for bringing this up again! That Support button displays for Impact users as a way to launch the Impact Support Center. I've reopened this idea, so others know it's active and can give it a rating. 

Naomi

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

Thanks @Naomi !  I also posted a message about it in the Accessibility discussion board here: Poor placement of Support button is an accessibility issue.

Is there a way a university can have the "Impact Support Center" disabled so the button does not appear?

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, @TiffanyStull

Yes, institution's can manage Support button visibility in the Impact Dashboard. For more details, check out How do I manage Impact Support button visibility?

Naomi

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

@Naomi great, thanks!  I'll ask about getting it hidden.