Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic - resubmitted

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

While the rich content editor supports the right to left alignment pretty well, the layout design of the basic page doesn't. This results in a weird alignment of vertical navigation lists and the alignments of paragraphs. It also distorts sentences that combine English words or characters, which is even more crucial as it makes some sentences hard to understand.

We would appreciate also the support of the 'regular' language speakers with your vote. Count us in

I attached example of both issues: Areas that are LTR which would be better that will be RTL, and mixed wording that goes wrong.

(This idea is a re-submission Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic We would appreciate our former supporters to also support us in this call)

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14712-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-06-02 .

45 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

195309_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

zshilor
Community Novice

I was watching the voting process and came to the conclusion that there is a bug that requires fixing (other than the RTL requested feature). For browsers that show the page in a right to left language, the voting buttons have a problem. I noticed it when a voter voted down while trying to vote up. I thought that it was her mistake but she was sure to do it right. I asked her to try again and on the second try fixed the issue. Then there was another case, of voting down instead of up which I asked the person  to correct and the next time of voting by using the same button it was corrected. Just letting you know...The same button toggles up and down in RTL language.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes, thank you so much  @zshilor ​.  It is even happening in left to right.  Smiley Sad

We have reported this to Jive and they said it is a known bug that they are working on.  It's not ideal, but we're just asking people to pay attention to the number when they vote.  Hopefully Jive will have this fixed soon.

zshilor
Community Novice

Thank you

zshilor
Community Novice

Renee, I am in trouble I believe.  This time I have a vote down from a person I don't  know. I am pretty sure it was due to the same bug we discussed. I don't know how to contact the person to verify my assumption and ask her for correction. If sghe intended to vote up I lost 2 points. Smiley Sad

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@zshilor ​, I can only see one downvote here, and it's from  @applem ​. Mary Ann, I'm not trying to call you out here, but did you mean to downvote this feature idea? If you did not, please take a moment to log into the Community to correct your vote by voting it up.

(For future reference, Zeev, that's how you can do it!)

applem
Community Contributor

I wanted to mark it up

Mary Ann Apple

zshilor
Community Novice

Thank you, just click again and the number with jump twice.

applem
Community Contributor

Check the response number

zshilor
Community Novice

There are 8 voters who voted for the original request but I couldn't  make them aware of the re-submission. I posted a notice to the archived item which probably didn't reach them so I hpoe that they will be counted..