Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic - resubmitted

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

While the rich content editor supports the right to left alignment pretty well, the layout design of the basic page doesn't. This results in a weird alignment of vertical navigation lists and the alignments of paragraphs. It also distorts sentences that combine English words or characters, which is even more crucial as it makes some sentences hard to understand.

We would appreciate also the support of the 'regular' language speakers with your vote. Count us in

I attached example of both issues: Areas that are LTR which would be better that will be RTL, and mixed wording that goes wrong.

(This idea is a re-submission Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic We would appreciate our former supporters to also support us in this call)

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14712-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-06-02 .

45 Comments
zshilor
Community Novice

I have a new feature idea I hope many of the supporters of this feature will like and vote up.
Here is the link: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8360-linking-youtube-promo-video-to-canvas-course 
The idea is to utilize YouTube's banners feature to drive traffic from a promo video to our Canvas course.

falamri
Community Novice

Hello Shilor, 

Thanks for posting this idea. We are having the same interest. It looks like the idea is far away from Canvas Product Radar for now. As a result, I guess we will start RTLing the CSS/Gemfiles soon. 

I will be in touch if god wells and cooperate even further. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-04-30) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Information on this feature release has been continued in the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14650-canvas-beta-release-notes-2018-05-21 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-02) .

zshilor
Community Novice

At last it is here. Thank you.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@zshilor  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @applem  Thank You , varde.1 Thank You ,  @smart_89  Thank You ,  @siouxgeonz  Thank You ,  @mbuonato  Thank You , & falamri Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

zshilor
Community Novice

I couldn't see the LTR option available to turn on neither for me nor making it available for the course participants

RobDitto
Community Champion

@zshilor ‌, I researched this yesterday to begin testing it for our Arabic-language courses and found that there are two parts to enabling it:

1) A top- ("root-")level account admin for your Canvas instance will need to turn on the feature option in Admin settings as described here:

zshilor
Community Novice

Apparently I have no access to the courses' account to turn on the feature.

This is because our courses are hosted on the Instructue account. They have been created by the community rather than by an established organization and Instructure was kind enough to host them.

So I will need Instructure to turn on the option before I can continue.