Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic - resubmitted

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

While the rich content editor supports the right to left alignment pretty well, the layout design of the basic page doesn't. This results in a weird alignment of vertical navigation lists and the alignments of paragraphs. It also distorts sentences that combine English words or characters, which is even more crucial as it makes some sentences hard to understand.

We would appreciate also the support of the 'regular' language speakers with your vote. Count us in

I attached example of both issues: Areas that are LTR which would be better that will be RTL, and mixed wording that goes wrong.

(This idea is a re-submission Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic We would appreciate our former supporters to also support us in this call)

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14712-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-06-02 .

45 Comments
smart_89
Community Novice

We did it!

But really all thanks go to Zeev for getting the ball rolling. I'm just glad to see some OSU folks helped to push it over the top.

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

Crossing the 100 requires a celebration.

לחיים
Gamla Wine from the Galilee

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

IMHO this is one of those "fix the bad design!" situations that shouldn't require a vote.  I'm glad it's gotten enough now!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hey All!

It's awesome that this idea is getting some attention again, but I just want to remind you that there is not longer a voting threshold.  You can find more information in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2109-how-does-the-voting-process-work-for-feature-ideas?sr=...

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

BTW,

While working on the translation of the UI to Hebrew one of the issues I had was the translation the word 'term.'
It is used for terminology as well as a learning season/semester. It is not always clear when to use which, because the translators don't see the actual page but only one sentence or word.
So maybe there is a way to change the word in order to reduce translation errors. I though I should add this feature request for voting.

zshilor
Community Novice
Author
zshilor
Community Novice
Author

Is there a way to ask a person whether he voted down intentionally or by mistake?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes, but there is currently only one down vote that I can see,  @zshilor ‌. The way to ask is to @mention the person in a comment. So,  @mbuonato ‌, we're curious to know whether you intentionally downvoted this idea or got caught up in the downvote bug that has been sporadically plaguing our members. Either way is fine, of course, but since we are aware of the potential of a vote being incorrectly recorded, we would like to make sure.

mbuonato
Community Contributor

This should have been an upvote.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for letting us know,  @mbuonato --and I'm sorry to see that the dreaded downvote bug caught you in its trap. You should be able to correct the vote by clicking on the Vote up button; you might have to do that more than once, but once you do, your vote will be correctly recorded.