Surveys now require a "correct answer". Can that be removed?

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Surveys now require a "correct answer". Can that be removed?

87741_Surveys_in_Canvas.pngSurveys_in_Canvas.png

But, the Question Setup asks for a "Correct Answer" which seems superfluous even though it is not a required field; as, the correct answer is whatever the individual responding perceives to be the correct answer.

87742_Correct_Answer_not_needed_in_a_Survey.pngCorrect_Answer_not_needed_in_a_Survey.png

Then the Statistics looks funny to include a correct response.

Suggestion, if a "correct response" is not included in the setup (left blank), do not include that element in the statistics.

Comments from Instructure

This idea is complete.

Please reference the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)   for more information.

Multiple Question Types and Correct Answer Text

Surveys don’t show Correct Answer as an answer label.

Explanation: When an instructor created a multiple type question (such as multiple choice, multiple answer, and multiple drop-down questions) in a survey, the answer label showed as Correct Answer instead of Possible Answer. This behavior occurred because surveys were not differentiated from regular question types, and surveys contain no right or wrong answer. Canvas code has been updated to not show Correct Answer as an answer label in surveys.

10 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@pburwick ​

Thank you for your idea. This idea currently exists at   and is open for voting.  Please add your thoughts and vote!

I am going to archive this idea as a duplicate.

pburwick
Community Explorer

Thank you, Renee. I search for it but I must have used the key words…

Paul Burwick

Substitute Online Support Technician

Ed Tech

(209) 622-0262

hmakela
Community Novice

This appears to be happening again?  It is saying "correct" when there is not supposed to be an incorrect/correct answer for the survey.  

Also - can anyone tell me how I can change "quiz instructions" to "survey instructions"?

RobDitto
Community Champion

@hmakela , I would recommend reporting both issues to Canvas Support, or asking eCornell's Canvas administrators to do so.

Out of curiosity, is "correct" showing up for you as a checkbox and green shading shown in Survey Statistics? That's considered a bug in Canvas; our institution opened a Canvas Support ticket and was given issue number CNVS-17535.

I do see the Quiz Instructions headline when taking the survey as a Test Student and will report it. Often, the more problem reports, the greater the likelihood of an eventual fix; however, it's possible Priority: Quizzes.Next‌ may affect that likelihood for issues arising in the legacy Quizzes/Surveys tool.

hmakela
Community Novice

Thank you  @RobDitto ‌.  The survey student view states the below and the stats have the first answer shaded green with percentage of correct.   am the admin., so did also put a ticket in to support.  I will also see if I can add to your current ticket.

Quiz results are protected for this quiz and are not visible to students.

Correct answers are hidden.
saurilio
Community Participant

I'm trying to create a ungraded survey as well where all answers are correct. But this message shows up when students submit. screenshot of student submission ungraded survey

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

In New Quizzes, in order to truly create a survey, you must turn off the points and disable the correct/incorrect indicators. Based on the image you included above, you chose to Show student response and Show item feedback.

Restrict student result

pburwick
Community Explorer

The “correct answer” in a survey, according to Canvas, is no longer a feature. See this:

Multiple Question Types and Correct Answer Text

Surveys don’t show Correct Answer as an answer label.

Explanation: When an instructor created a multiple type question (such as multiple choice, multiple answer, and multiple drop-down questions) in a survey, the answer label showed as Correct Answer instead of Possible Answer. This behavior occurred because surveys were not differentiated from regular question types, and surveys contain no right or wrong answer. Canvas code has been updated to not show Correct Answer as an answer label in surveys.

Treatment of Surveys relative to Quizzes<https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2511>

If you wait for tomorrow to follow your dreams,

by the time that you get there they're gone.

• Willie Nelson -

Paul Burwick

Shasta College

Online Support Technician

Educational Technology

(530) 242-7553

6:00 AM – 2:30 PM

Mon-Fri

For Faculty Help visit:

http://www.shastacollege.edu/teachonline

For Student Help Visit

http://shastacollege.edu/LearnOnline<http://www.shastacollege.edu/SC%20Online/Pages/Learn_Online.asp...;

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed