Switching between Individual Student's Grades

0 Likes
(6)

It would be very helpful to be able to click between one student's grade page and another student's grade page in one single click.

When we, as instructors, are in a student's rade page, we need to be able to switch easily and quickly between that student's grade and another's. Up by the student's name, you could put a drop-down arrow (such as in Speedgrader) that brings up the students' names in alphabetical order. As is stands right now, you have to click on People or Grades, which takes us out of the grade page,  then click on the next student's grade page. What a waste of clicks and time!

I know that you have a similar feature with Individual View, but it doesn't actually get you between the correct pages.  It gives you their grades, but not with the functionality that exists on a students' grade page.  In Individual View you can't see the rubric, score details or click into an assignment.  You also can't see a student's Learning Mastery.  Learning Mastery is what I use the student's grade page for most often.  When I want to show student's or parent's what a student has learned I want to show them the Learning Mastery for just their student and it takes a lot of navigation to get from one student to the next.

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ArielleKelly
Community Novice

When looking at individual student grades, it would be helpful to be able to have a drop down feature to select a new student rather than having to hit back and go to the gradebook and select a new student name. See photo below: 

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 8.48.57 AM.png

NBenenati
Community Member

Yes!!!  Being able to advance from student to student, viewing their grading details and/or learning mastery, would make report card comments and standards based grading a lot easier.

CZaccagnino
Community Member

At our school, we use standards-based grading. We do a trend analysis rather than calculating an average for student grades, which means we need to see student progress toward mastery in all outcomes and number of submissions/attempts on alignments in order to assign a grade at the end of the quarter. The student outcomes report is the best way to do this, but it is arduous to move from student to student outcome report. If we can have the ability to easily move between outcomes reports, similar to the Speed-grader view, e.g. click an arrow to toggle to the next student outcome report, rather than navigating back to each individual student and then to their outcomes report, that would make our quarter grading much easier! Thank you

CZaccagnino
Community Member

@Stef_retired My comment (above) was submitted as an Idea Conversation, and it was merged with this one. However, I feel they are two different requests (although related). The Student Outcomes Report is not accessible via the students' Grades - the Grade and Outcomes Report are housed in different spaces. Having the ability to move easily from student to student for both would be great, but they are not the same. Maybe the Outcomes Report can become a tab in the Grades page, the way "Learning Mastery" and "Assignments" are currently?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@CZaccagnino  Thanks for this comment. I agree that the ideas are different, yet this idea does request the inclusion of Learning Mastery in Individual View navigation, which connects to related requests for enhancement such as  Improve Outcome alignment reports.  We will happily recreate your comment as its own stand-alone idea if you still think it's not related to this discussion; just let us know.

CZaccagnino
Community Member

@Stef_retired I think it's fine to keep them together as long as the request for moving between student outcomes reports doesn't get lost. Viewing the learning mastery gradebook is different from viewing the student outcomes report. I think joining them together and requesting the student outcomes report be added to the "Grades" view is a great idea.

nicole_harmon
Community Member

This would be a great idea!

JOLYNNJONES
Community Member

Yes!!!! Please make this happen!!!!

MELISSAWHATCOTT
Community Novice

Yes please!!!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.