Sync Group Sets over Blueprint

(10)

The ability for group sets to sync across blueprinted courses. This would allow groups to be set up (without students) so assignments can be built around group projects. While the people inside each group and the number of groups is left to each course, the group sets can be set up from a Blueprint. 

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @pflickin ‌; it's open for voting. Since group sets do not persist upon course copy, you might also be interested in supporting this related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1551-copy-group-settings 

dspiel
Community Participant

Very much needed, but since it is I'm guessing it won't happen.

hmcnally-vls
Community Explorer

How is this _not_ a thing in blueprint courses?

StephanieNg
Community Explorer

We would like this feature too

CindiKerns
Community Participant

One of my instructors has a large number of group sets. Recreating them in each section is a waste of his time. Please consider the administrative load this creates and make life easier for faculty. 

mshin
Community Novice

Yes, I'm that instructor that Cindi is referring to! Please add this feature! I added and individually named 60 groups to my blueprint only to later realize that they won't sync over to the client courses. Doing this in the blueprint took a lot of time, and now I have to manually create and label the same groups in each of my client courses. Agree with hmcnally, how is this not already a feature?

Also, while we're at it, could we also allow setting group sizes to 1 person? I realize that 1 person may not be considered a "group," but in this one course I'm using the Groups feature to have students self-signup for presentation topics from a defined list and I only want 1 person per topic. For an application like this, I need to be able to have the group size be set to 1 person or I have to monitor the groups and kick people out of groups where there is already someone there.

Unless, does someone know of a different way to allow students to self-signup for slots on a predefined list in Canvas?

Thanks!

dbutter7
Community Participant

I agree with all the above. This feature request is super simple to update and very important for Ensign College, BYU-Idaho, and other big clients.

dspiel
Community Participant

Sad three years later and no movement.

tonja_kelly
Community Explorer

When you copy a course you should really copy the course. The fact that groups that have been carefully set up (including their own unique pages) have to be recreated every single time is a failure of Canvas and limits it's use because it is not sustainable for some setups to redo groups every single time. I am now adding a comment here to group settings/pages/whatever being blueprintable, this seems just so basic to be missing.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.