Sync to SIS Status visibility in gradebook (Aeries)

0 Likes

It would be very nice and convenient to have the green/black sync indicator visible directly in the gradebook (in addition to the visual indicator on the assignments tab).

Far too often I fail to sync individual assignments because I forgot to check the SIS sync box during assignment creation. I do not typically utilize the assignments page, and so my discovery of the non-syncing assignment is delayed.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@angela_dean 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Before we move it forward for broader discussion, would you please ask your local Canvas admin if they have enabled the account default for SIS sync as detailed in How do I enable student information system (SIS) submissions for an account? ?

angela_dean
Community Explorer

I will follow up with admin if they would consider having that default setting chosen.

Regardless of default setting, the visibility in gradebook would be very helpful as there are certain assignments I do want turned "off" as well.

Thank you!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@angela_dean 

Thanks for your quick response. If I'm understanding the request properly, some of the requested functionality is already available albeit not in the way you've described, and may depend on which SIS your school is using; please read through How do I sync grades to PowerTeacher Pro in PowerSchool in the Gradebook? for an example.

So would you please edit the idea to specify the SIS your school uses (as this would need to be developed in partnership with that SIS), remove the second request for the default setting, and add that the idea is for a visual indicator in addition to, or instead of, the link that displays in the column dropdown?

Thanks so much!

angela_dean
Community Explorer

Apologies - this is Aeries.

I will edit the post, but I do not know what you mean by "the column dropdown"?

Currently the only place I see an indication of whether assignments are set to sync is in on the assignments tab, and this is not visible directly in the gradebook.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@angela_dean 

Thanks. The dropdown for each column displays when the instructor clicks on the three dots that display to the right of the title for that column.

angela_dean
Community Explorer

Ah, thank you. My gradebook column dropdown provides no indication about whether an assignment is set to sync or not - it just says "all grades posted", even if the setting is off. Even then, I am hoping for a visual on the main page without needing to check each individual assignment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@angela_dean 

Thank you for making that wonderful edit to focus the idea. We've moved it forward for broader discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

LindseyMeyn
Community Novice

Whether or not "Synch to SIS" is checked needs to be super easy and obvious to identify without going into the "edit assignment" mode.  Assignments with or without it checked should be highlighted or bolded or something similar from the Gradebook view.  When I am getting ready to post grades in Q and the final scores are off, I have too many assignments to easily scroll through and visually see what is missing in my Q Gradebook (especially since they are usually in a different order on Q than they are in Canvas, for some reason), so I then have to open every single assignment in Canvas, select the "edit assignment" option, scroll down once it loads, and check the "Synch to SIS" option. If it's checked, I then have to click "cancel," wait for the page to reload, and move to the next assignment, over and over and over again until I finally find the one (or more) that I had forgotten to check when I created it.  This is one of the most tediously frustrating wastes of time I have ever endured professionally.  

Also, I often duplicate already existing similar assignments when I create a new assignment, and then change that new duplicated assignment name and details as needed.  However, when you duplicate an assignment in Canvas, the default is to have "Synch to SIS" NOT checked, which is what causes this problem for me every time.  We should be able to easily change whether it is checked by default when an assignment is duplicated.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Canvas would need to work with the gradebook team to determine if they'd assist in providing this data. Even then, with current roadmap priorities, this would take a while to develop.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

This is more complicated than the request implies. To do this correctly, Canvas would likely want to work with the Gradebook team to support unique final assignment types. However, with current roadmap priorities, this can't be done soon.