System protection against 'fat fingering' grades

0 Likes

Hi!

I would strongly suggest that Canvas includes an 'edit-check' when it comes to faculty entering grades that are outside acceptable ranges.

For example, if an assignment is worth 10 points and instead of 5, someone enters 50. It should naturally not be accepted for the setup that caps grades at 10 points. or instead of 9.5, they accidentally entered 95 and it would still accept it, without even flagging it for a review!

I understand there is an argument for granting 'extra points' and hence the completely open ad un-edited ability to enter any number there currently. There are other ways to set up extra credit and even if someone insists and shows evidence that lots of people use it that way, there should be a way to differentiate or limit egregious errors first and protect the integrity of the grade book.

I recall there used to be a place where at least those 'outlier' or fat-fingered grades would be highlighted before.....seems like that has been lost in some recent changes?

1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@shankarg 

The parameters for returning an alert during grade entry are detailed in the View Excessive Points Alert section near the bottom of How do I enter and edit grades in the Gradebook? It sounds like the examples you've posed fit within those parameters. If you are entering 95 instead of 9.5 and are not seeing this alert message, would you please initiate a case with Canvas Support ( How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? )

Thanks.